What do you see g/b/u (good, bad, ugly) on my 14U's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
FFS
During the "Around" the barrel is rotated 'around' the rear forearm, whereas during the "Along" the barrel is flailed/cast/sent/thrown 'along' the rear forearm.

I have never heard this described this way. That's an interesting description that sounds/feels different than "turn the barrel". thx

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth (or keyboard), but pay close attention to the bold comment below. Instead of doing this, I believe she is forcing herself to swing her hands "Around" her body. Moving the hands back is fine. But she needs to keep them in a position that will allow them to get to the "Along". Right now I believe she is preventing that from happening because of where her hands are going before swing launch. I noticed in another thread that FFS made mention that the SnF drill can be used for various purposes. That makes sense to me. Maybe try the SnF drill at either the 90 degree or 45 degree setup and focus specifically on hand path first. The angle should help prevent her from impeding her hands with her shoulder. FWIW, this drill should also be helpful with her lower half as well. As always, this is just my opinion... As I said before, there are aspects of her swing that are quite good.

During the "Around" the barrel is rotated 'around' the rear forearm, whereas during the "Along" the barrel is flailed/cast/sent/thrown 'along' the rear forearm.

ezgif.com-optimize%201.gif

Rear shoulder seems to be 'swinging' the bat.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
The input here at DFP has been very helpful and thought provoking. The consensus seems to be that her loading hand move may be a part of the problem downstream. It is a little tricky as High School tryouts are this week but we will experiment a little. I do notice a big difference in hand position between my DD and Hugo her recent thread. Will try to keep you posted and appreciate additional input.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS

I have never heard this described this way. That's an interesting description that sounds/feels different than "turn the barrel". thx

The concept of "turning the barrel" can be over cooked. In looking at your daughter's swing I get a feel of the barrel trying to be turned all the way to the ball using the muscles running from the rear shoulder to the rear hip area. You don't "turn the barrel" all the way to the ball with the rear side muscles, you throw/sling-shot the barrel away from the rear side.

Instead, think of the turning of the barrel as being in the 'Around' and preparing/flowing into the 'Along'.

Your daughter also needs to do a better job of letting the barrel pivot around her hands/wrists.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
It's an interesting comparison with her older sis (if I understand correctly that they're sisters). Older sis has good weight transfer, you can see the difference in younger being too far forward. Both have an issue with extension - though congrats that they're apparently both successful hitters. I like Howes observation about stalling the rear elbow, curious if he'd say the same about older sis. It also seems older sis has the bat buried in her palms. The younger might too (even if the knuckles are lined, if one teaches that, doesn't mean the bat isn't still buried in the palm - I'd stop her in the load position, have her extend the bat, and see if its in finger vs. palm - someone here has a real good visual on that - I think it's easily overlooked and a very effective tweak). BTW, does older sis still play? Good luck to you guys going into HS ball!

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
The concept of "turning the barrel" can be over cooked...........You don't "turn the barrel" all the way to the ball with the rear side muscles, you throw/sling-shot the barrel away from the rear side.

This is interesting. The other day taking BP I started thinking about "turn the barrel." As soon as I consciously started paying attention to it, it felt like I was probably casting. On the other hand, it feels like when the other elements of the swing are working well, "turn the barrel" takes care of itself.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
cranker, I don't like this advice for this young lady. Your DD instinctively knows how to get the handle to barrel launch - staying inside the ball and hitting @ right angles. This young lady turns and loses the barrel too early. Hand path is shot, that's why she stalls the rear elbow. It's the bodies effort to help the hands - which have lost control of the barrel. She needs to learn the proper hand-path. How/when to load and release the barrel.

Good Luck!

Nice to see you posting Howe. I see the problem as the opposite of what you see. She appears to be in the golf "stuck position" to me. This would stem from the left side opening up with out the arms along for the ride. Seems to me her barrel turn is late, rather than early, as it relates to her opening left side. Have another look, would you?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is interesting. The other day taking BP I started thinking about "turn the barrel." As soon as I consciously started paying attention to it, it felt like I was probably casting. On the other hand, it feels like when the other elements of the swing are working well, "turn the barrel" takes care of itself.

If the you "turn the barrel" around the rear forearm during the 'Around', then there will be no casting. If anything, "turning the barrel" around the rear forearm during the 'Around' restricts casting. On the other hand, the throw/flail/delivery of the barrel into the 'Along' is essentially a cast.

Casting is fine .... just not during the 'Around'.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom