What are you doing to fix DBSF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Do you think that the command drill would work well w/ a ball machine? Or could provide a decent solution for the timing issues that ball machines inflict?

I think this is a fantastic idea.

Especially for batters that have a good slow/early gather-coil-load.

Hitting off a machine is a learned skill that just never seems to directly translate to in-game pitching, in my observations.
In other words: Some players can't hit off a pitching machine to save their lives, but hit great in games.
it's got to be the lack of timing cues that attribute to this.

I think using a "command" setup with the machine can work a kid's swing efficiency and "suddenness", and maybe take away the difficulty of the pre-swing timing issues with the machine.
The key I think is to make sure the player gets to the same "command position" on both machine-pitch swings and live-pitch swings...

Interesting thought.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I posted this before. It has/had helped my DD. I has help take the tee swing into the game over time. It helps take the delay or the 'extra' move out before the actual swing.

CommandDrill1.gif

CommandDrill2.gif

thanks for this rdbass. Would you happen to have a clip or c lips that show the whole movement, not just the forward part?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
thanks for this rdbass. Would you happen to have a clip or c lips that show the whole movement, not just the forward part?

The point of the drill is to get to launch position, removing all the slack from the system, so there is only a "forward part". If there is any other motion before launch, you haven't removed all the slack.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The point of the drill is to get to launch position, removing all the slack from the system, so there is only a "forward part". If there is any other motion before launch, you haven't removed all the slack.
Correct, Get the hitter into the launch position and say gooooo.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Upon hearing the Command, they launch. And if they have slop in their swing it will instantly show up. 100 out of 100 will fail in their first attempt. Slop has shown it's ugly head for every first timer I've worked with.

What does 'slop' look like? What is he talking about?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Upon hearing the Command, they launch. And if they have slop in their swing it will instantly show up. 100 out of 100 will fail in their first attempt. Slop has shown it's ugly head for every first timer I've worked with.

DBSF is an example of slop.
The need to reset or move to a different position, other than the one they were in when they made the go decision, before they can actually launch, is a career ender.
There is no reset necessary before launch. There is no movement to a different position after the decision to go and before launch
The goal:
JUST the launch of the swing

Dec 4, 2013

Slop = Any extra movements. At go it should just be instant rearward barrel turn. No transferring weight across the pelvis. No extra upper body movements. Just instant barrel turn....

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
So points of emphasis would be bottomed out scap , feet look a little open in the clip. this is alot like sNF. Weight is where? on both feet< at what percentage? Stretch points whare you can feel the tensions would be where? are you holding everything with your scap?

Dec 4, 2013
I think of it as a bridge between the SnF and a regular swing. We get our feet in the position where our stride would take us, and tighten the torsion spring. (For a RH hitter) Rear leg is fighting to turn counter clockwise, hips/back/scap are resisting, pulling back (clockwise), tightening the stretch. When all slack is removed wait for the "go" command. Torsion spring is fully loaded. Majority of the weight is over the rear leg. 80-85%?

Hope that helps....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA