What are you doing to fix DBSF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The point of the drill is to get to launch position, removing all the slack from the system, so there is only a "forward part". If there is any other motion before launch, you haven't removed all the slack.

Tried it w/ DD today. There is the temptation to relax and retighten and swing. I guess that's a normal first reaction to be avoided? She wants to load again. Not sure that it bothered me, though. It was almost imperceptible. I think she got the gist of it.

Slop = Any extra movements. At go it should just be instant rearward barrel turn. No transferring weight across the pelvis. No extra upper body movements. Just instant barrel turn....

If you get to the correct launching point, with good bat angle, it seems like it's almost impossible to slop it up at that point, no? Unless you extend your hands too soon (push).

When we talk 'drop barrel,' I think of this as a sequence issue, as in don't drop barrel too soon, not until launch. Or should I be thinking never drop barrel, turn barrel rearward?

Dec 4, 2013
Tried it w/ DD today. There is the temptation to relax and retighten and swing. I guess that's a normal first reaction to be avoided? She wants to load again. Not sure that it bothered me, though. It was almost imperceptible. I think she got the gist of it.

If you get to the correct launching point, with good bat angle, it seems like it's almost impossible to slop it up at that point, no? Unless you extend your hands too soon (push).

When we talk 'drop barrel,' I think of this as a sequence issue, as in don't drop barrel too soon, not until launch. Or should I be thinking never drop barrel, turn barrel rearward?

Bold above is one of the most common mistakes in my experience. You are correct that should not be happening. I would advise video taping it. Some extra movements you may not have noticed will become evident.

Slop before launch...
slop_zpsan6cjryj.gif

Anything I read about I try myself. My first command drill stunk. Video, tweak, video, tweak, video, tweak is what allowed me to understand this and perform the drill successfully. IMO another big flaw kids have with this drill is they don't turn the barrel rearward. Most people have the tendency to bring the hands forward and push the barrel to the ball. 10 to 4 bat speed instead of 12 to 6. It took me months to wrap my head around around this. Whack the mole. Create 12 to 6 bat speed. When in the torsion spring loaded position just "Supiduct". Supination + adduction. Tight HPP, turn that barrel

12-6_zpsqbuk6icz.gif

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Need to be in this position (left) at the pause:
CabreraColabelloRearCommand.gif

I think it also depends on what style of load you use.

I know Rich likes to turn the Barrel rearward from max tip. that is not bad, for example mike trout launches like that, he sets the bat tip Forward quite early and then his bat goes back and down pretty much "12 to 6". works great on low pitches but less so on higher pitches (trout was famously bad at them but he improved)

http://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Trout_highside_slo.gif

trout basically does dump the Barrel a Little , immediately when the rear elbow lowers the Barrel goes down and back towards the catcher (like chappy said at BBD) and on higher pitches he never really gets Extended. still is one of the best hitters in the world so I would not criticise him.

on the other hand there are plenty of high Level hitters who have the "slack" that rich critizised. Donaldson is one who tips and then untips (flattens) behind his Body while the elbow lowers without a real "go". Pujols has some of that too
http://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pujols_Hands_close_XMO.gif

both are better high ball hitters and can sometimes get too flat on low pitches, his Hands tend to be lower than trouts on low pitches. JD has a Little DBSF but not extreme, his Hands are still above the ball on low pitches but not as much as trouts
Josh Donaldson | NOONTIME BASEBALL | Page 4

I watched some JD Videos and on low pitches his bat tends to be around minus 20-30 degrees while trout is often above minus 45 degrees. real DBSFers will be 0 to minus 10 or so.

it doesn't really cost Donaldson time though. he can't Launch from max tip but most of the untipping happens while the hips open and the front foot and heel work twards the ground. the flattening is still part of his loading pattern. his loading pattern takes more time but his launch doesn't.

Last edited:

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Don't want to hijack this thread, but want to ask a fundamentally different question...how do we keep from creating DBSF in the first place. I will start a new thread on that....so please don't respond here. Would like input from those active in this related thread.

Jul 26, 2016
I have done this drill for the top hand
https://youtu.be/hXM3EUkoLxM

I also did lead arm drills to complement that were the focus was to keep the hands up have the Bat vertical and then the elbow works forward and up before the barrel moves down and back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06