What are These Pitcher Parents Smoking??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Here is a "for real" 60 plus 12u with an '02 birthday. Last I knew her one time high speed was mid 60's and it is my understanding that she hits 61-62 regularly in games. She is on a 14's team this year. She is 6'02" and has "for real" thrown in the 50's since the first time we saw her in 10's. When you see a 10 or 12u girl throwing that hard it is really, really obvious and it sorts the crazy claim parents from the real deal. I have seen some very hard throwing '02 pitchers this year and they when you watch them and compare them to this gal they aren't even in the same room.

My older dd is a first year 18 and despite parent claims, I gave not seen many 60 plus pitchers even at her age. If you listen to parents on this board and at the park, 60 plus pitchers are everywhere but when you see it you know it. IMHO, if you are standing there watching a pitcher, wondering if the gal really throws 60, she probably isn't...

https://app.nsr-inc.com/prospectResume/pProspectResume.aspx?id=193724

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNR-gq-cz2Y

Found it interesting that the "scout" from NSR considers her mechanics "flawless".

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Why do you suppose that is? We have a very popular pitching coach in our area, and her bullet spin is getting girls signed at the D1 level. Are you thinking they are not as good at lower locations? I have one of her girls throwing 56 with very few pitches in her bag, and she is doing reasonably well against righties at high level 14U.

There is a myth that "D1" somehow equates to a high level of play/talent. There is high and awful levels of play in all classifications in D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JUCO. Before you become enamored with the someone signed to the D1 level you need to consider the actual level of play and then when the time comes see if they actually produce. Quite a few D1 commits washout or spend a good part of their careers chasing down foul balls.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2011
We have someone locally, if you are approached by her family within a couple sentences the conversation turns to her, and how much better she is than any one else. Lately it has been how she is being wooed by Stanford. She went to their camp, and the coach clocked her at 70, even though we have never seen her over 58.

When that family is brought up I tell everyone I really hope that she goes there, it would be a great fit for her family.
Just to make myself smile, the last half hour I spent making this.
Pocket Radar.jpg

Dec 20, 2012
We have someone locally, if you are approached by her family within a couple sentences the conversation turns to her, and how much better she is than any one else. Lately it has been how she is being wooed by Stanford. She went to their camp, and the coach clocked her at 70, even though we have never seen her over 58.

When that family is brought up I tell everyone I really hope that she goes there, it would be a great fit for her family.
Just to make myself smile, the last half hour I spent making this.
View attachment 8471

I think that girl has been cloned and spread all over the country! Same story different kid.

May 23, 2010
Michigan
10 years ago when my daughter was 10U, we were playing a very good team with a very good pitcher, in fact that team went on to win both the NSA and USSSA state championships that year. At the time their pictcher was amazing. I gunned her multiple times at several tournaments ( we played them five times that summer) with a factory calibrated juggs gun at 54 mph. I followed her career and by the time she finished high school she was topping out at 54 mph. So you never know. She never gained a single mile per hour after 10U.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What are these pitcher parents smoking? The same thing most parents of any player/participant in any sport are smoking. The team lost the last game due to something someone else did, or didn't do. The team won because of the superiority of my kid. I think this problem is common across most parents, parents of pitchers or parents of other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi