What are These Pitcher Parents Smoking??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
A bullet spin fastball will be hit hard unless it is 5+ MPH faster than the average pitcher at each age group. In college that would be 70+ MPH. Great pitchers have a blend of speed and movement. They can also hit their spots. A 60+ MPH fastball that a pitcher can locate on all 4 corners of the plate and mix in an occasional change-up can be very effective. A lot of pitchers can also vary the speeds of the same pitch to help keep the batters off balance.

Why do you suppose that is? We have a very popular pitching coach in our area, and her bullet spin is getting girls signed at the D1 level. Are you thinking they are not as good at lower locations? I have one of her girls throwing 56 with very few pitches in her bag, and she is doing reasonably well against righties at high level 14U.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
We play 14U. This is my second time through the age. This past weekend we faced an exceptional thrower. Guess she would be 5'-9" and likely 165. She was the fastest we've faced this year (3 tourneys in) and I have entered some of the states best ASA events. She is not even in high school yet! I asked mom what she is hitting. Mom humbly said she has hit 61 - 62 (that's not her cruising speed) so guess what...parents think their DD is hitting 60 but they are not and they are not seeing it on any gun. Think about it, many D2 and D3 college athletes never hit 60 and they are full grown women who probably played pretty high level travel. Don't sweat it, if it doesn't look exceptionally faster than the 14U upper average it ain't close to 60.

14U nationals last year, both premier and ASA, the top pitcher I saw was hitting 62.

Mar 15, 2013
its not completely unheard of for 14YO to pitch 60. I never really knew how fast my DD pitched..I knew she threw fairly hard and was in the 50s at 12u. She is now 14 and has been clocked at 2 different colleges clinics at 61 mph. During live pitching at a showcase game, a college coaches told her coach she was hitting 60 so I am guessing she probably throws around 60. I have no idea if she always throws 60...probably not..I am guessing high 50s with a good change that she will throw on any count. I never tell people how fast she throws unless they ask but even then I usually say I dont know high 50s-60... but other people love to ask me and/or guess..THAT is annoying.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Why do you suppose that is? We have a very popular pitching coach in our area, and her bullet spin is getting girls signed at the D1 level. Are you thinking they are not as good at lower locations? I have one of her girls throwing 56 with very few pitches in her bag, and she is doing reasonably well against righties at high level 14U.

Bullet spin causes the ball to travel in a straight line (like a bullet, hence the name), which is much easier for a batter to hit than a fastball that has movement. I would love to know which pitching coaches are teaching "bullet spin".....

Jan 24, 2009
Bullet spin causes the ball to travel in a straight line (like a bullet, hence the name), which is much easier for a batter to hit than a fastball that has movement. I would love to know which pitching coaches are teaching "bullet spin".....

This argument always has me scratching my head.

What movement do you want your fastball to have? Many advocate for the FB to have a 12-6 drop spin. Many say that the peel drop should actually be the 'fastball.' Fair enough. Wouldn't it be helpful to ALSO mix in a bullet spin speed pitch (fb) that say, DOESN'T drop to keep the hitters guessing?

If a changeup is effective because it is an un-fast ball, then wouldn't an un-drop ball be effective for a pitcher who also throws a drop?

...apologies for using a quick, imperfect googled image to make the point.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
What movement do you want your fastball to have?........If a changeup is effective because it is an un-fast ball, then wouldn't an un-drop ball be effective for a pitcher who also throws a drop?

I would think an "un-drop" would be less effective than, say, a "drop-plus." I like Hillhouse's argument that a pitch should change planes: A baseball comes from well above the strike zone and moves into the strike zone. A softball starts in the strike zone and hopefully stays there. Therefore, you have to move the hitter's eyes somehow.

A baseball thrown at 98mph, while impressive, is going to get hit hard eventually if it is straight and flat. Some of the hardest hit pitches are hanging sliders, because their velocity sits a little below that of a fastball, and they don't move enough to fool the bat. I haven't watched all that much college softball, but I have to think the situation is similar there. If not, educate me.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The problem with a bullet spin is that it is very easy for the batter to pick up and very easy to track. I see kids with a bullet spin who get neck cramps from their head turning around so fast when the ball is rocketed into the gap so often.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What movement do you want your fastball to have? Many advocate for the FB to have a 12-6 drop spin. Many say that the peel drop should actually be the 'fastball.' Fair enough. Wouldn't it be helpful to ALSO mix in a bullet spin speed pitch (fb) that say, DOESN'T drop to keep the hitters guessing?

When my DD throws a 4-seam fastball (3 ball counts to #6-9 batters) it comes out will bullet spin and tracks very linearly. There is not much movement to it, and when she misses the strike zone it is usually up (late release). When she throws the same pitch with a 2-seam grip it puts a late screwball "tail" on the ball. I love calling inside FBs to a righty and watching them try to fight it off the handle - DD has broken 3 bats so far this season!

To me, a hard pitch with 12-6 spin is a peel drop, not a FB, but my DD can throw it thanks to her early HE pitching lessons!

Jun 7, 2013

Cat Osterman in her pitching video for the USA team teaches a "cork screw" hence, bullet spin, for her FB. I suspect, however, that she throws it to just hit a spot and not be so much in the strike zone.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Cat Osterman in her pitching video for the USA team teaches a "cork screw" hence, bullet spin, for her FB. I suspect, however, that she throws it to just hit a spot and not be so much in the strike zone.

It helps that Cat throws it 70+ MPH.....bullet spin is great if you are trying to hit a spot, but I would not suggest leaving it over the white part of the plate against a good batter unless the pitcher is wearing a mask!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1