What are These Pitcher Parents Smoking??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Just last week I had a coach on an A level 10U team try to tell me he had a pitcher throwing 55 and another at 60mph. I was speechless.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just last week I had a coach on an A level 10U team try to tell me he had a pitcher throwing 55 and another at 60mph. I was speechless.

You should have advised the coach to read the instructional manual to learn how to change the read out from km/hr to miles/hour.

Nov 15, 2013
We played 10UA ball last year, and the very fastest pitcher I saw was 50mph. I could see a girl at that age maybe somehow whipping it 52, but anything beyond that would be inhuman.

Dec 27, 2014
We played 10UA ball last year, and the very fastest pitcher I saw was 50mph. I could see a girl at that age maybe somehow whipping it 52, but anything beyond that would be inhuman.

DD played 10u B/C this year and little league. Tournament play, we saw a few pitchers that were faster than DD, who cruises in the low to mid 40's. Recently, she hit 50 ONCE in practice on my pocket radar and hit 50 the last time she was on a Revfire a few months ago. She will be 10 in a few months. I could see a 10 year old throwing mid 50's in game though. DD is a good athlete, with a good arm, but she has only been really pitching 8 months and is pretty average in height for her age. Now, when people ask how fast she throws, as the parent of a pitcher, I of course say...50. :)

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
My DD plays A level 10U and has pitched against the best teams here in the south. I have only seen 1 pitcher that was significantly faster than my DD but she was a very big girl for 10. So big that I really thought she was on in the 14U team group that was also at the park. I can honestly say I have not seen anyone throw 55mph in 10U and if the coach/parents say they are, I usually just smile and keep walking.

Feb 7, 2013
My DD plays A level 10U and has pitched against the best teams here in the south. I have only seen 1 pitcher that was significantly faster than my DD but she was a very big girl for 10. So big that I really thought she was on in the 14U team group that was also at the park. I can honestly say I have not seen anyone throw 55mph in 10U and if the coach/parents say they are, I usually just smile and keep walking.

It's rare but you play enough softball you will occasionally see a very advanced pitcher. In the 7 years that I have been involved in fastpitch, I have only seen 2 pitchers that had me go "wow". One was in 8U all-stars. 2nd year pitcher that threw top speed of 47mph. She was incredible, excellent mechanics, and very accurate from 30 feet with a 10inch ball! We faced her 3X that summer and at one point she struck out 28 of our 32 batters.

The other pitcher was at 10U Nationals. She was throwing top speed 58 and was clearly much faster than anyone else in the tournament. We actually beat her team to make it to the championship game because we were able to put the ball in play (bunts, ground balls) and the defense made many errors since they were not use to fielding with such a dominant pitcher. A year later, in 12U, she was not the same dominant pitcher as she once was as the girls caught up to her in size and speed and the extra distance and bigger ball at 12U made a big difference.

So the bottom-line is that there are some kids that can flat out bring it at a young age, but they are the outliers, and over time, many players catch up to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi