What are people's opinions on kettlebells?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Reviving an old thread because I'm about to purchase a couple of kettlebells for strength and conditioning purposes. Those of you who liked them back in 2011, do you still like them? Any favorite exercises or youtube videos you can share?

Apr 1, 2010
I like kettlebell swings. I usually do some with both hands and then alternate, switching from one hand to the other. They're great for Russian twists. I'll hold it behind my head/neck and lift up to work on my triceps and I also alternate it for presses.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
What type of swing? Like forward and back or like a bat swing? I'm looking for some type if strength and conditioning training for my 11-12 rec team. Something simple but effective. I like the idea of them having to grip the kettle ball to improve hand and wrist strength.

Sep 18, 2011
4 girl's dad - we just started our kettlebell routine over the weekend. Here's a video I found that demonstrates the proper way to do the kettlebell swing. The guy SEEMS to know what he's talking about and I certainly hope he does.

Kettlebell Workout: DOs and DON'Ts, Common Mistakes - YouTube

I also found one more video on youtube and this is the routine we folow. The video indicates that we should do 4 sets, but since we're beginners we've only been doing three. So far so good. My 15 year old DD uses a 10 pound kb and I use a 15 pound kb. The woman in the workout video uses a 15 pound kb so i figured 10 lbs was about right for the DD (she is pretty strong).

Total Body Kettlebell Routine - YouTube

Hope these videos help. There's a ton of them on youtube.

Sep 18, 2011
HOWEVER: Swings can cause major back injuries if not done correctly so can many other kettlebell exercises especially when using heavy weights.

I have no idea why i feel the need to share this, but I didn't listen to Chrissy and am currently in my third week of intense back pain. Two doctors visits, muscle relaxers, pain pills. stretching... nothing has helped. I hurt it using a mere 15 pound kettlebell. Things were going great the first few weeks, and then I tried bending more at the waist and... ouch. So yes, be careful. Just glad it was me and not the DD.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have no idea why i feel the need to share this, but I didn't listen to Chrissy and am currently in my third week of intense back pain. Two doctors visits, muscle relaxers, pain pills. stretching... nothing has helped. I hurt it using a mere 15 pound kettlebell. Things were going great the first few weeks, and then I tried bending more at the waist and... ouch. So yes, be careful. Just glad it was me and not the DD.

You know why you are sharing this! You put aside your ego and admitted you were wrong in order to prevent others from doing what you did. And for your good deed done, you have my best wishes for your back healing as quickly as your ego. Thank you for sharing!

A

anthonyjones988

I also like kettlebell swings. Remember the kettlebell swing is a great exercise, but you need to safely challenge yourself. To get the best body and health, one can simply do Kettlebell exercises for like 20 to 30 minutes for three times a week.

Jun 7, 2013
Kettle bells are phenomenal! I do the KB swing and the Turkish getup. They have helped me with my softball in the past. Now they help me stay in shape utilizing a minimum of time. With two DDs in traveling softball I only have so much time to put into my exercise program. Highly recommend!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1