Well- Let me Lower My Expectations.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
IMHO your response to my post was arrogant demeaning and rude. I did not insult or degrade you in any way.

And there was no back handed insulting in this message:
"Why do you care which side? I actually prefer to have them to the back of the batter. If that was your only beef with that umpire I would have him ump our games any time."

Where did you get beef from "discreet", "quiet", and "smiling". Your statement that you would have him ump your games any time leads me to believe you were purposely being contrary. You also stated that you prefer to have your on deck placed with the back to the batter. 3 sanctioning bodies now support that this is in violation of stated rules. Which led me to believe you are not experienced with the rules of the game. You state that you know the rules, and I'll accept that.

Just seems odd that you know the rules, but choose to ignore the ones you don't like. Don't know that as a fact, merely attempting to understand your sentiment from your initial reply.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Bretman,
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are stating. It is not that one side is safer than the other...

Huh? Wasn't the perception by the coach that one side is safer than the other what started this whole ball of wax rolling?

What I'm stating is that based on a recent internet umpire forum discussion on this very topic, many umpires participating in the discussion observed that both sides, front or back, get hit at roughly the same rate, with perhaps a slightly greater chance of getting hit in the front than the back.

The back side is not immune from stray batted balls. And, the back side is more likely to be hit by a bat that slips from the batter's hands on a follow through, something that's just about impossible to happen on the front side.

I would also say that, depending on where exactly the on-deck circle is located, being on the back side of the batter can be even more dangerous. Picture an on-deck circle that's further up the foul line. If the ball is pulled hard, it's going to be smoked foul. I've seen just as many OD batters get hit that way.

Then again, if OD batters are wearing helmets and paying attention, that alone will probably make things about as safe as they can get. Most OD batters I've seen get nailed were paying no attention at all. Be awake out there! You never know what might come flying your way!

I also wonder that if an OD batter thinks that they're safer behind the batter, they will pay even less attention...

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Then again, if OD batters are wearing helmets and paying attention, that alone will probably make things about as safe as they can get. Most OD batters I've seen get nailed were paying no attention at all. Be awake out there! You never know what might come flying your way!

I've seen local rules stating that the on deck batter must be facing the batter. The meaning was to keep the girls alert of the dangers from being that close. One HPU actually stopped a game and enforced the rule adding that he would eject the next Head Coach who's girls weren't paying attention.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've seen local rules stating that the on deck batter must be facing the batter. The meaning was to keep the girls alert of the dangers from being that close. One HPU actually stopped a game and enforced the rule adding that he would eject the next Head Coach who's girls weren't paying attention.

And you didn't inquire under what rule/rule set?!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Why does a scorekeeper need to have a running dialogue with the umpire during a game? If you are not a coach who is keeping score you have no reason to speak with the umpire other than scorekeeping issues, of which an on deck batter in the wrong circle is not.

As a parent/scorekeeper, I have had a running dialog with a few umps during the course of a game. It turns out that some umps are actually human (shocking, I know!!), and enjoy a little conversation while the teams are switching sides. At one all-star game last Summer, I found out that the ump and I had some mutual friends. Nice guy. Very good ump, too.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
And there was no back handed insulting in this message:
"Why do you care which side? I actually prefer to have them to the back of the batter. If that was your only beef with that umpire I would have him ump our games any time."

Where did you get beef from "discreet", "quiet", and "smiling". Your statement that you would have him ump your games any time leads me to believe you were purposely being contrary. You also stated that you prefer to have your on deck placed with the back to the batter. 3 sanctioning bodies now support that this is in violation of stated rules. Which led me to believe you are not experienced with the rules of the game. You state that you know the rules, and I'll accept that.

Just seems odd that you know the rules, but choose to ignore the ones you don't like. Don't know that as a fact, merely attempting to understand your sentiment from your initial reply.

VA Chris I merely asked you why did you care? That question was fishing to see why you appeared to feel strongly about this rule. and then I did I offered my view on the on deck circles, I did not say you did not understand the rules or that you should read the rules. The ump comment was what it said if that was your main concern the ump did his/her job. There are alot of rules I do not like; LBR, not moving for HBP, d3s, ... I do not ignore the rules I coach my team and abide by the umpires rulings and decissions. As stated earlier i try to focus on rules that IMHO affect the game. Whether I agree with the rule or not I go by what the ump call, if I disagree approach him/her with why I disagree and then abide by the decision, if I still do not agree i can protest or ask for the Head ump ruling. Locally here the MS school games have local rules and are not sanction by your 3 governing bodies. Sorry if me questioning your statement and giving my opinion was such an affront to you.

Sep 11, 2013
Can someone clarify the comment about the book not being "official" unless it is kept in the dugout? And by what sanctions ie USSSA, ASA, Little League etc. I score our LL books behind the fence next to the dugout. And DD first USSSA tournament is coming up soon and would like to know for that as well.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
ASA/ FYFA rules sanctioned the event. I was a coach at the time and ensured I was aware of the correct rule set to follow.

nice try though.....

Add more expressive emoticons to sarcasm font on the DFP badly needed list. So the penalty for the rule violation has HC ejection? Nothing for the player? The use of dog training collars in youth athletics seems like a viable business diversification strategy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd