Well- Let me Lower My Expectations.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
So this happened at my daughter's middle school game.

Rule 7 section 1 (ASA)
Rule 7 section 1 (USSSA)

Opposing team sent their on deck batters over to our side of the field to stage before coming up to the plate. I quietly told the head coach that this was not allowed and they had to remain on their side of the field. Opposing coach on third of course said "No- it's allowed, their ok". Head coach tells HPU about the rule and HPU says "I'm okay with them there, they can stay."

Between innings, I discreetly spoke with the HPU. I am not a coach on this team and merely a fan (added: acting as score keeper). I told the HPU that the above issue is in the rule books of at least 2 sanctioning org's that I know of. HPU says that he is ok with them in either on deck circle. I replied with a smile, "Its your field". I then asked what book does this game follow. HPU says "I don't know". We had a few more words. I walked a way with a smile,and lowered my expectations.

:confused:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Why do you care which side? I actually prefer to have them to the back of the batter. If that was your only beef with that umpire I would have him ump our games any time.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Why do you care which side? I actually prefer to have them to the back of the batter. If that was your only beef with that umpire I would have him ump our games any time.

So I believe you completely missed the point. Let me re-explain.

Rule 7 Section 1 in both USSSA and ASA state that a team must take the on deck circle on the side of the offensive team. Not open for discussion or coach's preference. Your statement leads me to believe you have never read the rules and base your thoughts on rumours of how the game is played.

The point here is that HPU DID NOT know what rule book the game was being played under. How does he decide if a girl should have/should not have moved to avoid being hit by a pitch? One sanction requires the girl move, the other doesn't. Perhaps it would be best if you read the rules and understood why this is a problem prior to posting.

Jun 22, 2008
For informational purposes only, the if it was a middle school game it was most likely being played under FED rules, and the FED rule is 7-5-1 and restricts the on deck batter to the on deck circle closest to their own dugout.

But, spectators should not try to engage in discussions with the umpire, and the umpire should not engage any attempt to discuss situations from the spectators.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
@ Cyclone Softball22- Nope, didn't insert myself into the game. Was actually keeping the score book (edited to include in OP) and had a running dialogue with the HPU. Between innings I asked so I knew how to keep the correct score.

@ The rest- See above, maybe I should have mentioned the score keeper portion versus the "fan" statement.

Can someone please explain how to score a girl that leaves the bat out in the strike zone during a bunt? ASA and USSSA both have different rules on this. If the bunt is held out and a ball tossed, do I score a strike or a ball?

Seems that the flavour here is play the game, damn the rules. How in the world do you properly Ump, Coach, Scorekeep a game if you don't know what book you are following.

Interested to see where this goes from here.......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves