Wear another team's practice uniform to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I really don't care what players wear but I do want them to look ready to play. So wear softball pants/shorts/etc and make sure you have a visor/cap. Look like a player. It wont disguise you if you can't play, but it will catch the eyes of the coaches.
I do like the idea of a tournament shirt if you are not well known to the coaches or are new to an area to show you have played travel.

Also be a leader - talk through the practice, encourage others, etc, etc. Chat to coaches - make your self known.

Then show your skills and make the team (or end up with a choice of teams).

Aug 19, 2011
My daughter likes to wear crazy mismatched socks anyway, and when she went to her last tryout the coaches were all calling her "socks" within five minutes. The coach called the next day to give us an offer letter, and when we went down to pick it up in civvies, one of the other coaches said, "Hey, it's Socks!"

Almost all the girls at a tryout have some kind of tournament shirt, but I wouldn't wear another team's uniform. Especially if you feel self-conscious about it -- if you wonder whether something is a good idea that's often a good indicator that it's not. :)

Nov 14, 2011
In our area the softball community is small so it really doesn't matter what you wear. If you are a decent player they will know who you are and definitely what team you played on last season. My DD wore her batting helmet that has her team from last year on the front. We didn't think twice about it. We attended 3 tryouts and received offers from all three.

I do like the idea about wearing the clown suit. It might have helped some of the players get some offers!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I wouldn't recommend it, but on the other hand, if a coach would judge you one way or the other based on your shirt/jersey, then it doesn't speak well of the coach. What good coach is going to make a decision based on the shirt the player is wearing?

Aug 19, 2011
I wouldn't recommend it, but on the other hand, if a coach would judge you one way or the other based on your shirt/jersey, then it doesn't speak well of the coach. What good coach is going to make a decision based on the shirt the player is wearing?

People judge other people according to what they wear all the time, and, as marketing experts would tell us, our prejudices and decisions are not always entirely conscious. No point in testing the coach's enlightenment.

Jul 26, 2010

It's normal human behavior to prejudge and categorize. Psychology 101. The coach is sorting the kids the moment he sees them and making a first impression. This impression can be changed over time, but why make things harder on your kid then you have to? Coaches are just human, even if they won't admit it.

-W

Jul 28, 2008
Wear something that sticks out. Last Wednesday's tryout we were referring to the girls as black/green socks girl, red pants girl, UC Davis shirt, Yellow shirt....

It always helps to to wear something that's a bit different.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Our teams form has a question for what professionals has she seen... pitching, catching, or batting. I had her wear a pitching coaches shirt, even though she said it didn't match. It said "Strike outs is our business, and business is good" on the back. Black shirt, letters in hot pink. His name and logo on the front, he thought of everything! She did wear her team pants (got that from here)...and stood out,(the little clash of colors,black shirt/navy blue pants. Mom didn't like it at all...I said it made her look taller, she agreed..they were way to nervous to fuss...haha) all the rest of the girls matched, and looked like mom dressed them, she looked like the little pro she is. She made the team. But of course she shot the cannon arm, and hit every ball off the machine, hustled, dove in the field, and scared them with her very unique style and mechanics of pitching.(got that from here) When I caught her, I had her go stand with her back to the fence, instead of the other way like all the rest. All 16 other girls pitched pretty much the same way.(like girls)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors