was i right or wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
There is nothing worse for a pitchers dad than to watch outs that should be made, not be made.

It happens every once and a while, and it is the pitchers duty to accept, even support her defense, and pitch out of the jam.

But when it happens repeatedly, and the pitcher must pitch out of a jam that is not her making. It is dis-heartening, and really impossible for the pitcher to succeed.

You only have so many "jams" you can pitch out of. A couple extra outs happens all the time. When it becomes more than that, the pitcher and her dad become very frustrated. Most likely act out, as I have not met many who are able to stay completely under control when outs are given away by the defense on a regular basis.

Nov 29, 2009
There is nothing worse for a pitchers dad than to watch outs that should be made, not be made.

It happens every once and a while, and it is the pitchers duty to accept, even support her defense, and pitch out of the jam.

But when it happens repeatedly, and the pitcher must pitch out of a jam that is not her making. It is dis-heartening, and really impossible for the pitcher to succeed.

You only have so many "jams" you can pitch out of. A couple extra outs happens all the time. When it becomes more than that, the pitcher and her dad become very frustrated. Most likely act out, as I have not met many who are able to stay completely under control when outs are given away by the defense on a regular basis.

I call them "out pitches" If the pitcher can control the hitters enough to get routine ground balls to the infield and they are not making the plays it's not the pitcher's fault. As SCD stated you can only expect a pitcher to do so much. She can't K every hitter. So... YES there are times when the error bug has infected a team and they are no support for the pitcher with poor fielding, poor decisions and poor execution. Had one of those innings this past weekend. We gave up 6 unearned runs in one inning without a ball leaving the infield other than on poor throws. We gave the other team 5 extra outs that inning.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't often agree with OILF, however he raises a good point. What about that 1st batter walk that scores 80% of the time? Or the 3 run HR given up by a missed pitch? Sure pitching Dad's say well she should have been out of the inning (I have said it many times myself) but the bottom line is she didn't do her job against that batter. To blame the defense or to blame the pitcher is stupid. Blame the coach for having a defense that cannot get the job done, or blame the coach for either calling the wrong pitch, or not developing the pitchers enough.... See it's the coaches fault when things go wrong... not the players (I always tell my team this). The players get the credit when things go right!!!!

When 2B fields a routine grounder and throws it over 1B's head, we have a conversation about how to fix it (take your time, focus, and make a good throw). When SS has grounders roll under her glove, we have a conversation about how to fix it (glove in the dirt early, work from under the ball). When my catcher-DD allows 2 runners to get on base on D3Ks - especially when those runners become the deciding runs in the game - I have a conversation with my DD about why this is a very serious issue, and we work on fixing it (been there, done that). There is a level of performance that is expected at every level of ball. Put the "blame" (I don't really like that word) where it belongs, and figure out how to help your players fix it so it doesn't happen as often - or not at all, if possible.

My DD's current all-star team is severely lacking in pitching, and there's nothing we can do about it for our short existence. We HAVE to succeed in making outs in the field and hitting the snot out of the ball. When our fielders fail to execute the fundamental game skills we have practiced, you can bet they will be the focus of the coaches' corrections. Fielders should be expected to execute the requirements of their position (appropriate for their level) on a regular basis.

Jun 24, 2013
Never wrong for standing up for your DD.

I put my DD on a team whose coach was incompetent. He would not teach anyone but the players the signals and he only went over them once (10U and 12U). So if a girl got confused, she was pretty much out of luck. He also tried to give the signals very quickly while disguising them by twisting his body away from the girl, or he might just be yucking it up with his AC's or a parent outside the fence while the batter is waiting on a signal. So he sends my DD the bunt signal (runners on 1B, 3B) but he is turned more towards the OF so she doesn't see it clearly. She swings away and gets a triple out of it, scoring both runners. All he does is complain about how he sent the bunt signal. Also they had to always take pitches until they got a strike on them. After 2 tourneys full of smh moments, I pulled my DD's from the team.

Mar 26, 2013
... There is a level of performance that is expected at every level of ball. Put the "blame" (I don't really like that word) where it belongs, and figure out how to help your players fix it so it doesn't happen as often - or not at all, if possible.
I understand your dislike for "blame" because it is not accurate for coaches that focus on identifying opportunities for improvement and acting on them. If the SS throws the ball in the dirt and 1B makes a poor attempt to catch it, the scorekeeper "blames" it on the SS by charging her with an error. A good coach instructs both the SS and 1B on how to make the play. If they're unable to perform at the expected level, the coach makes adjustments in their line up.

Mar 28, 2013
Sometimes Ill say the wrong thing right after an injury like that but its because Im upset that it happened and the emotions come out seeming angry because I am angry that it happened. not at the player or their performance. character flaw I guess. also seen plenty of not fat pitches come back up the middle. Hoping she recovers fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom