was i right or wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
That coach is being ridiculous. It is not the major leagues. I would not play for that coach anymore just based on that. Sorry, they are coaching kids and there is no excuse for being that unprofessional and flying off the handle. Zero tolerance.

However, I also have zero tolerance for parents of pitchers blaming the defense, because that is hypocrisy if you want your kid to be left alone, you have to leave the others kids alone, too.

Who said anything about flying off the handle?

Aug 20, 2013
More importantly, how is your daughter?

I think you handled it well. Even if he didn't "mean" it, some people still need to be educated to what is unprofessional. And I think you are absolutely correct, if she put grounders into play and the infield couldn't get outs, well, then that is on him.

There is no I or U in team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is no I or U in team.

Sometimes there is, and you can always find it in the same place...
TEAMWORK_zpsf26894dd.jpg

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...However, I also have zero tolerance for parents of pitchers blaming the defense, because that is hypocrisy if you want your kid to be left alone, you have to leave the others kids alone, too.

But what if the defense is totally stinking it up? If the pitcher is throwing ground balls that are going through the wickets then that is certainly the defenses fault and in no way hypocritical. That is why you have earned and unearned runs.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
But what if the defense is totally stinking it up? If the pitcher is throwing ground balls that are going through the wickets then that is certainly the defenses fault and in no way hypocritical. That is why you have earned and unearned runs.

I don't often agree with OILF, however he raises a good point. What about that 1st batter walk that scores 80% of the time? Or the 3 run HR given up by a missed pitch? Sure pitching Dad's say well she should have been out of the inning (I have said it many times myself) but the bottom line is she didn't do her job against that batter. To blame the defense or to blame the pitcher is stupid. Blame the coach for having a defense that cannot get the job done, or blame the coach for either calling the wrong pitch, or not developing the pitchers enough.... See it's the coaches fault when things go wrong... not the players (I always tell my team this). The players get the credit when things go right!!!!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
^^^

see...now that she is fine we get to ride her a little...that is all I am saying. I asked her what the pitch was and she said the call was outside and she threw it on the outside half of the plate. I am inclined to believe her, to me that is not a miss. She is 11. They don't have a call for a waste pitch on her team so I know she interprets calls as Outside strike/Inside strike....hell they don't even call high or low. The pitch calling is just inside/outside and drop/CU. She does much better when the pitch calling matches her training...meaning 4 corners and a call for waste pitches for those locations. I tried to get her to choose hi/low and waste based on counts but she doesn't quite get it yet...she still thinks her job is just to throw what she is told....not sure where she gets this respect for authority....must be her moms DNA. If I was in her position I would be happy to choose hi/low/waste if the coaches had a limited set of calls.

as for the blaming the defense thing.....I did not think it was the defense's fault as much as his adjustments. He had third base playing deep against the slapper (too late to get to the bunt for a single) and then when that happened he pulled her in against the power hitters and two pretty easy CONSECUTIVE choppers bounced over 3rd base's head. More coaching than fielder to me and I did not mean to blame the girls when I said this to him, I meant to blame him for not adjusting based on the lineup. It wasn't like the other team was disguising anything, the big girls swung away and the lean ones slapped. 3rd was a new girl on the team so no worries. And DD did give up one liner, but that was the only ball that stayed in the infield thanks to her wrist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1