Video of DD chicken wing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Yep, I see some similarities at times. Is the cause releasing early? Or is it they pull the shoulder up,at finish? Or something else

Nov 18, 2009
Chandler, Az
I wish I knew, she threw very hard and we really focused on wrist snap at a younger age. I'd recommend watching some Hillhouse videos, but keep in mind Lisa Fernandez was a chicken wing pitcher and had a great career. I to this day wonder if it's because dd wasn't tall, but short and stocky as we really tried working the finish across motion, and as you can see in the video, it's as close as she got, lol

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I've heard it can cause arm injury what specifically gets injured? It doesn't seem to be forced or unnatural like HE. Well work on correcting for sure once I figure out how. I've got the first Hillhouse video and watched the ones on the web.

Nov 18, 2009
Chandler, Az
On DD it was the bicep muscle throwing the drop ball that she learned at a camp at 11, got a knot on her bicep and was never the same again. Always be sure to work another position to be safe, as one should put the same amount of time into hitting and fielding as a pitcher does pitching and same goes for Pitchers.

Dec 20, 2012
I agree with the foot work, heel first and toe pointed 12 or 1 o'clock, causing hips to square with the catcher. Her arm has to go around her hip. Either causing the ball to go inside or she may overcompensate and pull across and throw outside. I'm not a fan of closing the hips. Seems so many kids will have timing problems by closing too soon or a slow arm lagging the hips. My DD had the same problem with a long stride. She is 5'10 and just stepping off her stride it was over 7'. Drive leg could never begin to close/squeeze until plant foot landed. Shortened her stride by 6-8 inches and made a huge differnce. Back leg was squeezing(for lack of better term) to her front sooner/quicker and balanced improved. I tell her to stay open on most pitches but with all the momentum moving forward they do follow her arm, I just don't want hips closing before arm comes thru or hips swinging closed.I did not want her to slow anything or push off with any less force just drive the plant foot to a different spot. Nothing to back it up but my theory is that her stride was so long her momentum going forward was slowing before contact was made with her plant foot and caused less resistance to throw against. And feels like speed picked up with shorter stride, ormy imagination.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Her elbow flies because she is closed with her top half at release. Usually this happens because kids warm up with K's or snap drills, and think they are impressive when they throw really hard during these warmup drills. Instead of simply letting their arm drop and release from an open position, they torque their upper half at the waist to force the ball through. This carries through to their pitching motion. It's a hard fix because they've repeated it incorrectly so many times, but it can be done. It starts by making sure they warm up correctly.

-W

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Very good for only 10... her PC seems to be awesome. Everything and then some that I caught in the video that needed addressed, the PC had also caught and was commenting on them. Keep up the good work and good luck. James

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree with the foot work, heel first and toe pointed 12 or 1 o'clock, causing hips to square with the catcher. Her arm has to go around her hip. Either causing the ball to go inside or she may overcompensate and pull across and throw outside. I'm not a fan of closing the hips. Seems so many kids will have timing problems by closing too soon or a slow arm lagging the hips. My DD had the same problem with a long stride. She is 5'10 and just stepping off her stride it was over 7'. Drive leg could never begin to close/squeeze until plant foot landed. Shortened her stride by 6-8 inches and made a huge differnce. Back leg was squeezing(for lack of better term) to her front sooner/quicker and balanced improved. I tell her to stay open on most pitches but with all the momentum moving forward they do follow her arm, I just don't want hips closing before arm comes thru or hips swinging closed.I did not want her to slow anything or push off with any less force just drive the plant foot to a different spot. Nothing to back it up but my theory is that her stride was so long her momentum going forward was slowing before contact was made with her plant foot and caused less resistance to throw against. And feels like speed picked up with shorter stride, ormy imagination.

Do you have a video you can show when she used the longer stride? I ask becuase I'm wondering about her timing. If the distance was otherwise within her ability, but she was struggling against the timing of her arm circle, it might be something to consider...

Mar 12, 2009
Her shoulder does pull up after release just slightly which probably means she's trying to shoulder the ball "muscle it" just a little.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1