Video of DD chicken wing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
A couple weeks ago I started a thread about chicken wing at release. A video was requested for diagnosis purposes. Here is video of my 10 y/o dd that her pc took in Nov. Any help with the chicken wing or any other feedback is appreciated.

[video]http://www.coachseye.com/klbk[/video]

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am glad that the pitching coach finally said and "Oh, by the way, you are illegal." Her elbow is not the problem here. It is her footwork. The leap, combined with a donkey kick are throwing her hips and balance so off center that she had to be pitching inside to the batter.

Correcting her footwork will go a long way, in correcting other problems. I would drill correct footwork 500 times, before I even added a softball, again.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like the arm circle. Loose and natural. Looks like a good whip. I like the strong drive. Good angle at foot plant.

I don't care for the deep bend at the waist. I'd like to see the hands used during the drive. Right now her arms are just going along for the ride. I'd also like to see her focus on staying tall and keeping the nose behind the belly button and belly button behind the toes (landing tall.)

BTW, I don't see a chicken wing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is pretty self explanatory. When a pitcher has been taught a figure 4 finish, they often exaggerate it and kick the right foot far off the power line, instead of up to the lead knee. Ask her to try just dragging the back foot up to the front, while keeping the toe in the dirt.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
She has never been taught and current coach does not teach figure 4 or donkey kick. We have been working on getting her to land flat footed vs heel first and eliminated the initial squat. Here is another video I posted previously. I don't have anything newer right now. This video was taken a day or two before the video her coach took. At about 1:20 it shows her elbow flying Out a little bit. Not to the extent it does at other times.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
As far as the squat goes, she can do that, but then come right out of it and let it drive her forward. She squats and stops and bends. I would tell her to get rid of the bend. The squat is similar to the cat jumping on the counter. She squats to get momentum.

There are a few pitches there, where she drags her back toe, up to her heel, correctly.

I have eliminated the back swing in new students that come to me.

I love the little brother trying to steal the show. I can imagine that you were motioning to him, to get out of the way. :)

Next time it is above freezing, video tape her overhand throw, so that I can tell her how the 2 should be similar.

Jun 24, 2009
She has never been taught and current coach does not teach figure 4 or donkey kick. We have been working on getting her to land flat footed vs heel first and eliminated the initial squat. Here is another video I posted previously. I don't have anything newer right now. This video was taken a day or two before the video her coach took. At about 1:20 it shows her elbow flying Out a little bit. Not to the extent it does at other times.

I'm not seeing chicken wing. Her foot work looks pretty good in this video.

Nov 18, 2009
Chandler, Az
Here is chicken wing, I posted this on here 3 years ago and will say dd never pitched in Travel Ball again, she does throw in HS, but that's it, becuase it's not worth the arm injury. Good Luck and maybe look up some Hillhouse videos to see some proper finishes.
Good Luck

13yr's old - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG