Using a slow pitch bat for fastpitch tournaments?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Anyone's DD using a slow pitch bat for fastpitch? Was searching Ebay for deals on a used bat and I noticed a lot of 34/26 slow pitch bats at great prices. Not sure if my DD can swing a 26oz bat, but it might be worth a shot! If she does not like it, I can always resell it on Ebay.

Jun 7, 2013
Unless your DD is a monster, there's no way she's going to be able to use a 26oz bat for fastpitch. The ball just comes in too fast!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
34/26 is the most popular weight in Sp softball. I really doubt most girls could use these. There are some Sp bats that are
made in 24 and 25oz as well. But still, still don't see it being a great option since not many girls even swing 34/24 bats.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Unless your DD is a monster, there's no way she's going to be able to use a 26oz bat for fastpitch. The ball just comes in too fast!

Lol-I guess that I am the mother of a monster! I just sent my DD's 34/26 Xeno in for warranty replacement because the joint loosened up. DD's D1 hitting coach told her to switch to the 34/26 after she swung one of the team's bats a year and a half ago (she was swinging a 33/24). But I agree that it is a lot of bat for most.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Lol-I guess that I am the mother of a monster! I just sent my DD's 34/26 Xeno in for warranty replacement because the joint loosened up. DD's D1 hitting coach told her to switch to the 34/26 after she swung one of the team's bats a year and a half ago (she was swinging a 33/24). But I agree that it is a lot of bat for most.

Yeah! My 16 yr old dd is swinging a 34/26 lxt preseason. She is skinny (well ripped, 10 months now of crossfit 5x a week). I told her that the 26oz is going to be too heavy in game and she said her other bats feel too light. I pitched over a 100 balls to her today, and her swing with the 26oz is back to as good or better than ever before.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Demarini ASA J3 is super hot. A guy on my team bought one I used it a few times and had to have one. Its darn near cheating. His broke after the whole team used it for half a season. Mine was still going strong after a season and a half with the whole team swinging it but the league banned it. 34/27 but felt like a 26oz.

I also have one of these in the stable Easton Synergy Flex SCN8 Softball Bat 34 27 ASA Certified Extended Barrel | eBay

Dont know if they are legal for fastpitch but they are hot hot.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
WOW did I read that 34/26 are the most popular SP bats. Things certainly change. I remember when I stopped using a 34/34 for a 34/30 I figured I would get more bat speed. I was called all sorts of unmanly names by my friends.

Jun 7, 2013
I played a lot of high level slow pitch softball and the weight of bat that I usually went with was 34/28. When metal bats first came out I was swinging a 34/35 for a while because, prior to the advancements in technology, I needed that big of a bat to get a reasonably large sweet spot. Then as the metal got better I kept using lighter bats to achieve greater bat speed and more control. I think that the "trampoline" effect off of "modern" bats at least partially diminished the advantage of using a heavier bat.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Demarini ASA J3 is super hot. A guy on my team bought one I used it a few times and had to have one. Its darn near cheating. His broke after the whole team used it for half a season. Mine was still going strong after a season and a half with the whole team swinging it but the league banned it. 34/27 but felt like a 26oz.

I also have one of these in the stable Easton Synergy Flex SCN8 Softball Bat 34 27 ASA Certified Extended Barrel | eBay

Dont know if they are legal for fastpitch but they are hot hot.

No reason to waste money on J3A, plenty of great slowpitch bats that hit just as well

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
WOW did I read that 34/26 are the most popular SP bats. Things certainly change. I remember when I stopped using a 34/34 for a 34/30 I figured I would get more bat speed. I was called all sorts of unmanly names by my friends.

yes, with technology of composites, you don't need the heavy metal anymore. I used to use a 34/34 back a little while and now use 27 endload. Heck, many bats don't even come in 30oz anymore, some top out at 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug