Unable to understand...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Been pondering it for a while now.. tossing it around trying to find the logic, coaching strategy.. something!! Anything!!!!
Why in (fill in the blank) would we allow 12 runs before we pulled the pitcher????//???

Any ideas?

Jun 29, 2013
A game your team's coach thought they had no shot at, and maybe the experience of just trying to get through the inning was all he or she wanted? I'm reaching on this one! :)

Feb 4, 2013
Have been reaching for a strategy on why this occurs as well.

Perhaps the coach would rather have a hit/run-fest rather than a walk-a-paloosa. At least the hits cause the infield to get work and improve?

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Is it a team you expected to see later in the tourney? Coach may want to avoid showing both pitchers. Was the game already a sinker, was your team likely to start hitting and make up even a six run deficit? If not, no point in pulling her, just get it over with. Is this end of season or beginning? Maybe he wanted to 1) build her confidence,m2) see how she would react

Nov 14, 2011
You are assuming that the pitcher is the reason why they have 12 runs. Was there 10 errors contributing to the 12 runs? Putting all the blame on the pitcher isn't the way I would coach. There are usually several reasons why NOT to pull a pitcher after the game is out of control.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've let it happen one time in 4 seasons of travel ball (that I recall). We had only two healthy pitchers. It was our third game, first bracket game. The first pitcher threw very well in the first 1-hour pool game. The second pitcher imploded in her pool game, hitting and walking people. The first pool game was hours later, so both were rested, but #2 was still having command problems in warmups and lacked confidence. We were up 8-3 in the top of the final inning, and the #1 pitcher was getting hit, but we also got tight and started making errors. The coaches (including my top assistant, who was the father of #2 pitcher) felt like bringing in #2 would mean we lose. I didn't trust she could throw strikes. I felt the #1 would at least throw the ball over the plate, which she did, and eventually they'd hit the ball to us and we'd catch it. But every ball they hit eluded us.

Not saying I played it right, but I do think there are times when keeping a pitcher in the game made sense at the time. Hindsight can be different.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
It's happened to my DD, when she first started pitching in travel ball, one game she gave up 18 runs. She was left out there because she was all this particular team had at the time and you know what? It made her better, she was forced to work through it and she is a great pitcher today due in part to that time she had to struggle through.

Jun 24, 2013
This baffles me a little bit too.

DD plays in a league with a 6 run limit per inning. Boy I missed this run limit in MS.

I am not sure the most runs DD gave up in an inning but it was a bunch. For whatever reason the coach didn’t have any confidence in the other pitchers. It seemed like a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you don’t give other pitchers a chance how are you ever going to get to trust them?

When the score is 12-0 after 1 the game is probably over, give someone else a chance.

Edit:

The #2 pitch gave up a few runs they would put DD in but they seemed to happily let DD give up 12. :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
why do they always pull the pitcher when it's not the pitchers fault. You see fielders make error after error but they never get pulled. You see catchers pass ball after pass ball... they never get pulled... just a thought... I saw several games in Clearwater where the pitcher did her job if it wasn't for the errors and they pull the pitcher??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors