Two calls from last night:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Two outs and the home team is down by 1. Sixth inning. Ball hit to right field. Right Fielder is shallow and throws to 1B. The throw was a little high but very catchable. Batter/runner hits 1B as 1B stretches up to catch the throw. The safety bag is available to the runner. Runner crashes into 1B. Both hit the ground. The catcher is backing up the play. Both get up and "shake it off." The umpire sent the batter/runner to second base and said that "obstruction" had happened. HC goes out to ask how that can be. Umpires says that the runner was heading to 2B and that is why he is awarding obstruction. This is impossible since the batter/runner would have been out if the throw was lower. Again, the throw was high but very catchable and only missed by 1B due to contact.

Top of next inning. Runner on 3B. The hitter tops the ball which results in a big hop to SS. Our runner slides head first but hits the catcher's leg. The catcher did not have the ball. The runner is injured and does not touch the plate. The catcher catches the late throw and tags the runner who is holding her arm in pain. HC goes to the umpire and says that the plate was blocked and the catcher did not have the ball. This was very clear on this play. The umpire stated that when the runner attempted to slide toward the back of the plate, she gave up her right to the plate and the catcher could use that leg to block the plate.

When the HC said to the umpire that the plate could not be blocked, she was told that if she said another word, she would be ejected. We won the game but that isn't the point on these two calls.

Jul 27, 2021
It's OK to vent. Things could be worse. I probably would disagree with the ump in question.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
"...gave up her right to the plate..." Whether it's verbatim or paraphrasing, I've never heard an argument like that before. What runner would ever want to give up their right to the plate?
Sounds like making stuff up and digging one's heels into it.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Two outs and the home team is down by 1. Sixth inning. Ball hit to right field. Right Fielder is shallow and throws to 1B. The throw was a little high but very catchable. Batter/runner hits 1B as 1B stretches up to catch the throw. The safety bag is available to the runner. Runner crashes into 1B. Both hit the ground. The catcher is backing up the play. Both get up and "shake it off." The umpire sent the batter/runner to second base and said that "obstruction" had happened. HC goes out to ask how that can be. Umpires says that the runner was heading to 2B and that is why he is awarding obstruction. This is impossible since the batter/runner would have been out if the throw was lower. Again, the throw was high but very catchable and only missed by 1B due to contact.

Top of next inning. Runner on 3B. The hitter tops the ball which results in a big hop to SS. Our runner slides head first but hits the catcher's leg. The catcher did not have the ball. The runner is injured and does not touch the plate. The catcher catches the late throw and tags the runner who is holding her arm in pain. HC goes to the umpire and says that the plate was blocked and the catcher did not have the ball. This was very clear on this play. The umpire stated that when the runner attempted to slide toward the back of the plate, she gave up her right to the plate and the catcher could use that leg to block the plate.

When the HC said to the umpire that the plate could not be blocked, she was told that if she said another word, she would be ejected. We won the game but that isn't the point on these two calls.
On the first one it's hard to tell without being there to see what happened. I could absolutely see a case for the umpire being correct on the first one. If the 1B missed the ball and catcher got it backing up, an argument could be made the runner was trying to take second on the over throw but couldn't because of 1B obstruction. I could also see them being wrong. But seems very judgementy

On the 2nd, the ump's an idiot, no question.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
On the first one it's hard to tell without being there to see what happened. I could absolutely see a case for the umpire being correct on the first one. If the 1B missed the ball and catcher got it backing up, an argument could be made the runner was trying to take second on the over throw but couldn't because of 1B obstruction. I could also see them being wrong. But seems very judgementy

On the 2nd, the ump's an idiot, no question.
That is fair enough. I would not believe that the throw was high enough. In fact, it was going to be a bang bang play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619