Turned Out OK

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
In a 12u tournament my GDD (5"6', 145 lbs of solid muscle) was at bat with her TPS Xeno. The pitcher's pitch was a fastball a little low over the plate. GDD hit a line shot back at the pitcher. The ball came back to the pitcher so fast she did not have time to react and hit her in the left leg. I am sure if the ball had had elevation the park would have not have held it, that is how hard the ball was hit. Realizing the pitcher had been hit, GDD took one step and stopped. The ball careened to the first base dugout. GDD finally started running but was thrown out. She came back to the dugout with tears in her eyes realizing the pitcher was on her back crying with pain. After about 5 minutes, they carried the pitcher to the bench.

Upon further examination, the ball hit about 1" above the knee cap and left deep softball stitch marks.

To everyone's amazement, she came back in to pitch again after three innings and did a good job.

My son got the coaches telephone number and called him this morning. The girl could hardly walk so she went to the doctor yesterday morning. Her coach said it was badly bruised. Xrays were taken and nothing is broken. Everything would be all right with treatment and rest. When questioned why he put her back in, he said she begged to be put back on the mound, and with her parent's permission he put the rider back up on the horse. She is one tough cookie!

As a parent or coach, I don't think I would have let her go back out. But if I did, it would have been with a face mask which she was not wearing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am glad that your GDD is a caring person and that the pitcher wasn't seriously injured. My DD always wore shin guards, when pitching. I guess they are called sliding pads. Probably even a knee pad, wouldn't have helped in this case though.

I heard of a 14 yo that was sliced by metal spikes last week and refused to go to the doctor. When she went days later, she had problems that will need plastic surgery to correct. I never let my minor kids make decisions about when they were able to go back in the game and whether or not they needed medical treatment. I would rather play it safe and take them when the injury occurs.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I saw the play where Taylor Slope of GA spiked Lauren Gibson from Tenn. Looked very intentional and she caused Gibson to get 10 stitches but she never came out of the game. The trainer wrapped it on the field and she played through the tears. Not a fan of GA softball after that.

Nice to hear your GDD is concerned about the other player but definitely not her fault. Glad to hear the other player isn't hurt seriously.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
You never can trust players during a game, some of them will play with broken bones. :)

Yea, especially the girls, boys - not so much.:D

Yes, GDD is a very caring person and a fierce competitor, but she never wants to see anyone get hurt. Later that night we went to a summer college baseball game in which some special needs kids were introduced and did a little sign language to a song routine as best they could. I looked over and she had tears running down her cheeks. I tried to comfort her but she told me because of her softball tournament, she could not play softball and other games with them at 3 that afternoon that had been arranged by the home team. Then I teared up.

Special kid.

Mar 13, 2010
Little girl she hit was lucky, my mum had that happen except it kneecapped her.

You should be proud of your GDD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors