Truly Love Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Everyone plays for different reasons. Some good, some not so good. IMO the worst reason is to pay for college. My DD enjoys the game but loves to compete. She happens to be very good at softball which provides her with the opportunity to compete.

To Doug's point it is all about priorities. If you are going to play at a high level you must be willing to put aside some social activities. Along with properly aligned priorities, time management is very important. I have a 18U showcase team and players know that I will not accept "homework" as an excuse more than once or twice for missing practice. If you cannot handle softball and academics in High School, there is no hope for you to succeed in both at the college level.

Somewhat agree, academics vary so much from school to school. I know high school kids that have an hour commute each way, take challenging classes with a demanding amount of homework, and some college kids, with the minimum amount of courses, who have 3 hours of classwork a day or only have classes Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I absolutely love baseball and ice hockey, but that will not get me a spot on an MLB or NHL team.

At 14U, I look at whether the kids can play at a high level or have the athletic potential/mental make up to play at a higher level. If the kid is working hard at her skills, "love for the game" takes care of itself. Even if the kid does not love the game as much as another player (however you measure it), if the player has the skills, I want that player. If there are competing priorities that take away from her training, and other players surpass her, that is good for the other players and the team. If the kids who "love the game" don't improve to surpass the less "committed" players, why would I play her ahead of the more skilled player?

Feb 12, 2014
Further, I think it is wrong to conclude that a girl doesn't love the game enough if she has chosen to not pursue college softball.

I agree 100% with this statement !! The game loses too many girls because of the emphasis put on playing college softball !!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
There is a spot in this sport for every girl. However the beginning question is to open to interpretation. I don't think a girl that doesn't love the game should be cut, I just think if her commitment level is that of a "C" player she should be on a "C" team and if that means cutting her for a "A" or "B" player that is more committed then so be it.

If love for the game and commitment are the same thing here then yes girls should be cut based on their love for the game.

As far as social life, people usually friend people with similar interests. It's quite rare to find my DD talking with a non sport playing girl and still rare if that girl doesn't play softball. So the social aspect usually revolves around softball.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If love for the game and commitment are the same thing here then yes girls should be cut based on their love for the game.

They are different. It is much easier to assess a player's commitment than it is to judge the degree of their love for the sport. I think it is a huge can of worms when you try to treat the level of commitment as the same thing as the level of love for the game. A coach might judge a player's love of the game by how much that player kisses the coach's rear, so to speak. That's a mistake.

I am very committed to my career (and my employer knows it), but I don't necessarily love my career, not relative to many other things I do.

Oct 22, 2009
I don't think you should judge a player by how they express their love for the game.

Surely as they get older different desires come into their lives and it is all about balance and perspective.

Younger girls with tons of desire are going to be the ones that quickly improve.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What weight should be given to how much a player "truly loves softball" in tryouts or in determining who plays and who doesn't (travelball or high school ball or rec-ball)?

None at any level.

1) Playing in HS and TB should be based upon how well the child performs.

Should a player's true love of the sport to be based on their willingness to completely walk away from a non-sport social life?
I think you are asking, "Should a players true love of the sport be *judged* on their willingness to walk away from a non-sport social life?"

No.

Is it not possible to love softball and, at the same time, value a non-sport social life too?

Of course. Parents should encourage players to have a social life and play softball.

It is difficult in college to have a social life, make good grades, and play an intercollegiate sport.

Is it a can of worms to attempt to judge a player's love of the sport?

Yes.

What would be a good balance between non-sport social life and commitment/dedication to softball?

The player has to attain and maintain a skill set that makes her "one of the best" on the team. Otherwise, she shouldn't play.

Last edited:
May 4, 2014
So Cal
I think it will work itself out... if you have love for the game you will have the commitment and the desire... if you dont the commitment and desire will taper off and as Jojo said "Younger girls with tons of desire are going to be the ones that quickly improve." and that desire and commitment will allow them to take the spot and shine over that girl that may have had more raw talent but isnt putting it to use.. I dont think the coaches need to judge "love for the game" but commitment and desire and effort put is a tangible asset to have in a player and I would cut a player that had the skills but no desire or want to be there

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A player's shyness to, or fear of, other people can be mistaken for a lack of love for the game. Sure, desire is important, but how are you going to know the level of desire for sure. You might entirely misjudge a players desire for the game.

Personally, I think a focus on love, or lack of love, for the game is a sort of cop-out with other issues being covered up. For example, if a player didn't play on high school coach's summer team, that player couldn't possibly love the game. OR, player doesn't want to play a tournament every single weekend of the year, so she couldn't possibly love the game. OR, player questions attempted changes in her throwing style, so she couldn't possibly love the game. OR, player refuses to adopt the hello-elbow (bowling) style of pitching, so she couldn't possibly love the game.

I think it takes quite an ego to believe he/she can accurately assess a players love of the game by the above-mentioned things. Why not simply focus on ability and commitment?

Constantly harping about players lack of love for the game can, and does, lead to less love for the game, particularly when it's a male coach harping about it to teenage girls.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I think it takes quite an ego to believe he/she can accurately assess a players love of the game by the above-mentioned things. Why not simply focus on ability and commitment?

I think the two terms are being interchanged without much thought on the part of others whereas they are mutually exclusive. Love for, or of, the game is often mistaken for commitment and vice versa. On the other hand, lack of love for the game will usually lead to lack of commitment at the higher levels.