Trouble hitting the slower pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
They need to learn to load with a different Q if they go to toe touch at the top of the K position, when you face slower pitching maybe it's toe touch at release. Don't move in the box adjust the load!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have often wondered why teams don't load up with a slow, effective pitcher and throw him/her through the first 9 batters. I have known many pitchers that had no heat - but threw so much junk that they were unhittable. Heck throw some stuff with an arc. I can't hit slow pitch, to save me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
They need to learn to load with a different Q if they go to toe touch at the top of the K position, when you face slower pitching maybe it's toe touch at release. Don't move in the box adjust the load!

Not a bad answer fourts. However, in the process of building solid hitters over time, a better answer is to work towards a loading pattern that allows one to elongate their stretch. As Dixon pointed out, the time duration between the 'beginning of the swing sequence' and 'contact', is longer for pros than for amateurs. Pros are typically in motion for a longer period of time. With the longer loading pattern comes greater adjustability. But I agree ... one's initial starting motion can be better adjusted in the on-deck circle for the particular pitcher you are about to face.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I have often wondered why teams don't load up with a slow, effective pitcher and throw him/her through the first 9 batters. I have known many pitchers that had no heat - but threw so much junk that they were unhittable. Heck throw some stuff with an arc. I can't hit slow pitch, to save me.

I agree. The hardest to hit are the really big pitchers that look intimidating. They have the big wind-up; and then when they throw it...pfffft...nothing behind it. It's just not fair to have a big girl throwing as hard as she can; not throw hard. It's a total fake out.