Transfer High Schools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Where we live, there is a mandatory 30 day no play restriction for any transfer unless the family relocates and the relocsation can be substantiated - this has all to do with football & basketball, not any girls sports. The State Athletic Assn'n is looking to expand the no-play restriction to 45 days because of all of the annual basketball transfers - every on of these kids will be an NBA star (LOL - just like all of our DD's will be full ride scholar athletes @ Big D1 U).

DD would probably be a very welcome asset at the high school in our district but she attends a school 25 minutes away for a very silly reason - academics.

Apr 11, 2013
NW
Ok I will give some further insight into our problem but I need to be vague as the HS Coach monitors these sites. DD has played A level travel ball for the past 6 years and has had very good success there. We have had some conversations with college coaches and it looked like she would be able to play ball past HS(not D1 but D2 or Naia). Softball has been her key motivating factor when it comes to school work and the thing in life that she enjoyed doing most.....Her HS Coach is taking that love of the game away from her. Her confidence level has completely eroded and it is affecting her ability on the field. I have sought advice from her travel coach, hitting instructor, and travel ball coaches she has competed against, most of their advice is the same. Dont worry about it because in our state a college coach will never be at a HS game. I do worry about it though. I dont want her to lose her love of the game and I dont want this to carry over to the ASA field.Right now she has the grades to go to a local University and get academic scholarships, so her playing beyond HS is not a big deal for me. I just dont want her lose her love of the game. In our state she has the ability to transfer to another school and not have to sit out a year. I just dont know what to do here.

Mar 26, 2013
What grade is she and does she have any friends at the other school?

She has 3 options:
1) Transfer and leave her friends.
2) Stay and not play HS.
3) Stay and play while hoping things get better.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We transferred but starting in the fall. Not completely softball related but to get away from Daddy Softball/Basketball and for our daughters to have a better chance at getting into a good college on academics.

May 18, 2009
My DD's team has a very talented sophomore on it. If that girl wants to win in the next 2 years she needs to transfer. No pitching coming up. No good players. The next time our HS team will be good is in 3-4 years when we have talent coming up. We have a bunch of talent from grades 4-7. Some of the HS players even say it. They don't think we will have a good team until the 6th graders come in.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Obviously, I love softball. But, softball is such small part of a person's life. I don't see how it make sense to disrupt a child's life simply to let her play HS softball at a different school.

If parents decide that a different HS is needed, then, of course, it is OK to consider softball as *ONE* factor among many.

Nov 3, 2012
In Indiana, you have to get a release from the schools AD that you're transferring from. If you don't get the release, you have to sit out a year. I've heard of schools not giving releases, which of course would leave you in a bad spot of not playing at all.

I thinks its kind of a silly reason to transfer just for softball but I understand it. But in softball, you always have travel ball.

Oct 18, 2009
Ok I will give some further insight into our problem but I need to be vague as the HS Coach monitors these sites. DD has played A level travel ball for the past 6 years and has had very good success there. We have had some conversations with college coaches and it looked like she would be able to play ball past HS(not D1 but D2 or Naia). Softball has been her key motivating factor when it comes to school work and the thing in life that she enjoyed doing most.....Her HS Coach is taking that love of the game away from her. Her confidence level has completely eroded and it is affecting her ability on the field. I have sought advice from her travel coach, hitting instructor, and travel ball coaches she has competed against, most of their advice is the same. Dont worry about it because in our state a college coach will never be at a HS game. I do worry about it though. I dont want her to lose her love of the game and I dont want this to carry over to the ASA field.Right now she has the grades to go to a local University and get academic scholarships, so her playing beyond HS is not a big deal for me. I just dont want her lose her love of the game. In our state she has the ability to transfer to another school and not have to sit out a year. I just dont know what to do here.

While on the surface to some, it might sound ridiculous to transfer just for softball... but for some players I can see how softball is a very important part of the HS experience. Her career is so short. If she is miserable now and would be happy playing somewhere else and it doesn't disrupt your family life too much then go for it.

Apr 11, 2013
NW
Ok so the second question is if we decide to stay will a college look down on an athlete if they do not play HS ball?

Oct 18, 2009
Ok so the second question is if we decide to stay will a college look down on an athlete if they do not play HS ball?
There are more than a few threads about this... but generally most will say no. If the player is playing for a travel ball team that gets good exposure and has a good track record for placing girls that is all you need as far as playing is concerned. College coaches will only care about your HS grades. Except maybe for one HS in SC, HS ball for the most part is irrelevant in the recruiting process.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06