Transfer High Schools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Cannot imagine changing schools for softball since 95% or more of recruiting is done through TB.

The reason would not be recruiting. It would be to have a great experience of high school softball.

I suspect that winning a high school state championship, and being a significant player on that kind of team, would be the most memorable softball experience in the life of most high school-age softball players short of signing a college scholarship. You ask a college player today about her high school team that won a title and I'd bet her face would light up. So the opportunity for that kind of experience and recognition vs. playing for a team and coach that are terrible is something to consider if it's practical.

In fact, there's a pitcher in Georgia who is pretty well known nationally who has played on two high school teams, neither of which is her original and current district, and though I can't confirm it, I'd imagine that softball was at least a small part of where she wound up. Probably not a complete coincidence that her travel ball catcher and high school catcher were the same person last year. And I don't blame her.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It seems as though players transfer for two reasons:

1) Play for a really great coach and be part of a competitive team.

2) To escape an incompetent coach and a non-competitive team.

Even TB players seem to enjoy HS softball if the team is less than competitive as long as the coach is competent and knows the limits of their coaching ability.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Some state high school athletic associations have restrictions on changing schools due to athletics. Our HS association rule states:

"You shall become ineligible for 365 days if you transfer to another school for athletic reasons."

IMO, it would be hard to prove why a family changes school districts, unless someone was able to put 2+2 together from posts made on a public forum ;)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Hitting home here.

We have been looking for land to build a ranch which will probably mean moving outside of our current zoning. The way I understand UIL in Texas is that we must do it before she enters 8th grade (this August) in order to avoid any potential HS sports penalty for relocating. We would not be moving for athletic reasons, but I think that is just as hard to disprove as it would be to prove.

Our HS is Ridge Point and they have been very successful in both JV and V since the school was opened. We wouldn't be leaving for competitive reasons for sure!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have considered moving our DD due to politics at current school. There is another school that she could attend which is known more for its softball program. We decided against it because the current school has a better reputation with academics. Ultimately that is why she is there anyway.

Mar 26, 2013
Reason #3 - For playing time (i.e. escape being behind a better player).

One girl has transferred 3 times. She transferred after her freshman year because she thought the other HS needed a pitcher and transferred back midyear after they figured out a freshman was going to be the primary pitcher. She transferred last summer to a 3rd HS - primarily because her younger sister was enrolling there too.

Our HS section has steadily relaxed their rules on transfers. About 7 years ago, they made a freshman transfer rule that allowed one transfer before playing as a sophomore without having to sit out. A couple of years ago, they expanded it to any first transfer, however they have to sit out the first 5 weeks of the season if it was voluntary.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Reason #3 - For playing time (i.e. escape being behind a better player).

One girl has transferred 3 times. She transferred after her freshman year because she thought the other HS needed a pitcher and transferred back midyear after they figured out a freshman was going to be the primary pitcher. She transferred last summer to a 3rd HS - primarily because her younger sister was enrolling there too.

Our HS section has steadily relaxed their rules on transfers. About 7 years ago, they made a freshman transfer rule that allowed one transfer before playing as a sophomore without having to sit out. A couple of years ago, they expanded it to any first transfer, however they have to sit out the first 5 weeks of the season if it was voluntary.

Sounds like some TB players I have known! Sucks for them when dad can't coach the HS team. :)

Mar 26, 2013
Sounds like some TB players I have known! Sucks for them when dad can't coach the HS team. :)
Exactly! There was another player that transferred with her and both had always played on their dad's team. Both are good enough to play in college, yet neither one got a commitment.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
Well, I just paid to build a pole barn at the high school so the coach lets my DD play all the time, with her preferred number.

Seriously, we didn't have anyone transfer recently. There is only one HS in the county. We had a freshman quit this year when she didn't make varsity because her coach dad told her she would be the varsity star. She is a sweet kid, but the family has extremely unrealistic expectations and sense of her abilities.

Nov 29, 2009
She is a sweet kid, but the family has extremely unrealistic expectations and sense of her abilities.

Just gotta love those fogged-up parent-colored glasses. Sounds like they had the darker shade of Rose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA