Too upright

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
My 14U DD has the tendency to be too erect during arm whip to follow through. This isn't an every pitch occurrence but it is enough to mess with consistent accuracy and at times confidence. I have videoed her and shown her. She understands what she is doing and we worked on it in her last cage session. Does anyone have a drill to reinforce correct body position or is it a matter of concentrate specifically on this until it is engrained?

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I'll tell you before everyone else does, post a video, maybe she does and maybe she doesn't have a problem with her body angle at release. These guys on here are video nuts!

Feb 16, 2012
I thought about doing that and decided against it. I have seen the comments from some regular posters on videos.

She is standing straight up and at times has a little backwards lean which cause her arms swing out from her body to clear it or to swing her shoulder around. Both cause all kinds of issues. She doesn't do it all the time, maybe 1-2 times out of 10-12 pitches but she begins to focus on it when she notices it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
it sounds like you are describing the correct (or close to it) body lean, but with her torso turned to the catcher (too closed) causing her to need to clear her hip too much. Is this what you are seeing? If so then she is probably not getting open enough as her arm circle passes from 3 oclock to 9 oclock and her foot is probably landing more pointed at the catcher than at a 45 degree angle to the catcher.

As one of the video nuts, I am curious about what types of videos you have seen get non constructive criticism? I haven't seen many videos of pitchers get anything but reasonable feedback in the pitching forum. I know I have posted several of both of my daughters and haven't seen anything that I would consider BAD, one poster said "ugh" at her mechanics, but even he had good overall feedback and I consider him a valuable resource.

Feb 16, 2012
JJ my comment about videos was a general statement about the site as a whole and not necessarily the pitching section. I will go back and look at her foot placement and see if that may be the cause.

Jul 17, 2012
The problem with NOT posting a video is the root cause of the problem may be upstream of what you are actually identifying as an issue. Without actually seeing the video, the seasoned vets here will be grasping at straws (I'm not one of them). If you don't want her to be "Identified" then cut the video at shoulder height. If you're afraid of constructive critcism, then don't post it. I almost guarantee she's not perfect and has something she could do better....which is why you're here right?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
She is standing straight up and at times has a little backwards lean which cause her arms swing out from her body to clear it or to swing her shoulder around. Both cause all kinds of issues. She doesn't do it all the time, maybe 1-2 times out of 10-12 pitches but she begins to focus on it when she notices it.

The problem with NOT posting a video is the root cause of the problem may be upstream of what you are actually identifying as an issue.

mosftballdad,

Based on your initial description - I was thinking the same thing as JJ... and based on your latest description... I also think the same thing as FrozenRope.

I'll vouch for all the posters on THIS thread so far - they are good people. I totally understand not wanting to open your DD up to the public opinion, perhaps you'd feel better about sending a PM?

Willy, FrozenRope, and JJ are all very knowledgeable. I won't speak for them - but try sending them a PM with a video - or to me - and I'm sure you'll get a very objective view point - and there's a really good chance you'll get the info you desire.

Feb 16, 2012
I'm not afraid of constructive criticism and I'm not one who thinks his daughter is it. I know and more importantly she knows that she has things to work on and is doing so. My initial concern with posting a video was the non-helpful remarks that I have seen come with almost every video posted. If you can help I'm all ears otherwise I can get testy...new years resolution?

I went back and looked at the video and we had another cage session. During her arm swing it is coming way behind her which is messing up all kinds of things. We focused on her arm swing and it has helped. If it continues after the arm swing is fixed then I will come back here with a video.

By the way JJ her foot was landing more horizontal to the catcher but not like it should've been.

Jul 17, 2012
If you can help I'm all ears otherwise I can get testy...new years resolution?

No need to get testy. One of the problems here is I don't know if anyone even really understands what the problem is. When you refer to being erect at release and follow-through....when I think of erect... that's not necessarily in itself a bad thing. If you look at Amanda, she's what I would consider erect at release and follow through....not falling forward.

Posture at release.JPGFollow Through.JPG

If she's falling forward...that I would consider less than ideal. The slight negative lean is good at plant foot touch down... then the forward momentum should be resisted by the stride leg.

Negative Tilt.JPG

I've seen some pitchers that land with a locked out stride leg that can cause balance problems...many times from trying to stride out too far......reaching with the foot so to speak.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My 14U DD has the tendency to be too erect during arm whip to follow through. This isn't an every pitch occurrence but it is enough to mess with consistent accuracy and at times confidence. I have videoed her and shown her. She understands what she is doing and we worked on it in her last cage session. Does anyone have a drill to reinforce correct body position or is it a matter of concentrate specifically on this until it is engrained?

Hey, if you get some of that out of her, send it my way for the pitcher I have who does get tall enough. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1