Time For A Rule Change!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I might be wrong but i think that taking this out of the game is even worse than mandating the facemask because you are dumbing down the game. removing a tool.

The HC on our TB team last year asked one of his former players (now in college, not playing) to join us as an AC on our U14 team. she criticized the girls for wearing masks and insisted that if they know how to field their position they don't need a mask. She would show them that she would play 3B about 10' from the plate on a bunt, with no mask. she was crazy. she was also uninformed. I don't think you should change the rules to protect the ignorant.
FWIW-(the team hated that AC and she didn't last)

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
The argument of "just teach your girls proper technique" and "teach them to be faster" is ignorant. I mean why dont we take away batting helmets? I could use the same argument. Why don't you teach your girls how to hit, and they wouldn't need to use a bush league technique to get on base? We could go round and round about this and get nowhere. I think we have??? :) IMO it's unneccesarry and unsafe.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have never actually SEEN anyone use this technique. Maybe because my DD's haven't played at a high enough level that they have had opponents who COULD use this technique successfully.

I have an honest question. DD #1 played 3B before she hung up her cleats (rather, she passed them down to DD #1 who wore holes in the cleats). DD #3 plays several positions, including 3B. (Her primary positions are P, SS and 3B, occasionally RF and CF in TB; primarily P, C, and SS in rec ball).

Do you KNOW of cases of girls, esp. 3B, who have gotten hurt because of this technique?

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
How is that a parallel argument? Kids should not have pitches coming at their heads or be subject to injury from errant throws or collisions involving the head on the bases.

I still say stand back and get faster if you want to be better at fielding a bunt safely. Same as the infield defense could crowd a hitter on regular hitting...so why don't they?.....On offense, no player I know put their heads in over the plate to get hit on purpose while at the plate. I guess you have never had your bell rung.

And while I am at it, there is no evidence a mask prevents a concussion, (or that fielded balls or even line drives cause them), which is some of the argument for masks out there. Now they do cause fractures, broken teeth, and other injuries, but let's keep our arguments and facts straight.

You are right, a mask wont prevent a concussion. I can promise you that a line drive to the face, hard ground ball takes a bounce and hits you in face, can most certainly cause one. As far as face masks CAUSING broken bones, teeth, etc I would like to see where you are getting this from. Can it happen, yes, I would say so. But, the amount of times they have prevented, I would say, greatly out number the times caused. I have 2 dd's that wear them, and have seen them both get hit hard in face wearing them. They were able to pick up the ball and get an out instead of laying on the field. Yes, we still checked on them afterward. Protective gear does not remove the chance of all injury, it just lessen the chance of a severe injury.

Apr 12, 2013
For instance in MLB you can't block the plate anymore, thus cutting down on the likelihood of a collision and a Buster Posey injury.

The rule change had nothing to do with a Buster Posey type injury. The rule was implemented to avoid concussions, simply. I do get your point, but the Posey rule myth has been out there too long.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA