Time For A Rule Change!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
The rec league that I am the 14u/16u commissioner for has a no slashing rule in baseball for 12u and under, nothing in softball. Its my understanding that slashing is the term used for this in baseball, could be wrong though. Growing up playing hockey, slashing has a whole different meaning to me.

As for the facemasks, I totally agree with the use of them. I never noticed it, but my wife told me the other day, our entire infield wears them, with a couple outfields also. My oldest dd, 14u, her team has few that don't wear one. Mostly because they almost all have $3-4k of jewelry in their mouth (braces). I would much rather spend $50 on a good mask, then have to get my kids lips stitched up cause her braces went through them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
really? The fringe? What you did a census and found those who advocate masks are the vocal few? The fact you passionately disagree with fielding masks doesn't make those who support it a fringe group.... Have you considered some of us who would like to see masks be mandatory do so in order for other aspects of the game NOT to be changed such as showing bunt and pulling back?

I rather see corners be mandated to wear safety equipment than change the rules but then again I'm the crazy fringe I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not disagree with the use of the mask, I just disagree with the fringe on both sides of the so called debate. Those who admonish those who choose to wear a mask and those who seek to push for a sweeping mandate. If you take the time to read the various threads on the subject it seems obvious to me that those in favor of such a mandate are definitely a very vocal minority. While the majority seem content to leave the decision up to the player and/or parents. As shown by your post if you disagree with the idea of a mandate you are labeled of being against any use of the mask, which is clearly not my position.

As to your last point while some may be passionately in favor of the use of masks, openly advocate their use, even mandate it for those within their purview, once you cross the line to advocating a mandate for all based on your personal beliefs that IMO places you on the fringe the discussion. However, the description of crazy were your words not mine.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I think it's part of the game, if you are going to allow bunting then you can fake bunt and swing but it's also very hard to actually do. As a coach you need to consider it may be happening before having your field 10 feet from the batter. I'm ok banning in rec, but in TB and above not so much.

Even so if you are going to have the rule what is the plan for it. If you square you can't swing? Along with it is there a rule that if you don't square you can't drag bunt late?

What about the hitters that square up to time the pitchers then pull back and hit. Is that illegal?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I think it's part of the game, if you are going to allow bunting then you can fake bunt and swing but it's also very hard to actually do. As a coach you need to consider it may be happening before having your field 10 feet from the batter. I'm ok banning in rec, but in TB and above not so much.

Even so if you are going to have the rule what is the plan for it. If you square you can't swing? Along with it is there a rule that if you don't square you can't drag bunt late?

What about the hitters that square up to time the pitchers then pull back and hit. Is that illegal?

All good points. I brought this up as several coaches were concerned about player safety at the 14U level. I don't like the play but it is useful and I've used it to fool less experienced teams and coaches.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I think you bring up a great point in that it may or may not be appropriate for some environments. What is appropriate for 10U rec may be way over the top for 18U Gold. That is the reason many leagues have local rules to make the game work for their level of play. I recently spent time in North Dakota and was surprised to see HS games that did not allow metal. No offense to those up there but based on the level of play that is probably a good idea. Some of these young ladies were very good athletes as I also saw them play ice hockey, but they lacked experience on the clay that would make metal cleats appropriate.

Jun 11, 2013
jquick, I see the issue. My DD does the square up to time slower pitchers. She played Rec 14U last fall (when she was 12) and I would always tell 1B that she wasn't going to bunt so they wouldn't get hurt. In TB which she plays more of the teams are a lot smarter and have much more ability so I don't worry too much about it.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
I have never liked this, and won't teach it. With that being said, if you must do this, fine, just don't complain when the next pitch is in the middle of your back. Afterall, thats part of the game...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is one of my Issues with the whole thing. Can I teach a few players to do it correctly? Sure. Teaching 12 – 15, that are moving all over the place, is a lot harder.

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
This topic reminds me of the days as a kid playing football in the streets/church yard ... On the kickoff, my buddy would yell "steakanary" - rather than "stationary" (indicating a fair catch). The opposing team thinking they heard "stationary," would therefore, not tag/tackle him. Touchdown every time ... the first time! lol

Obviously our topic has considerably more serious consequences; many that I agree with. Where this tactic is being employed, I believe it would be beneficial for the corners to be educated on recognizing what is a true sac bunt set up versus a mechanic of timing by the batter. This "set up" is different than that great sneaky bunt that the batter drops into at the last minute and should therefore, from a coaching perspective, be dealt with differently and independently - as its own coaching topic, if you will. I understand this is [probably] easier said than done and plays in to the very concept of the technique the batter is utilizing ... this particular comment then comes back to ...

The girls need to play back, get faster, and crash later. Not sure you can regulate what hitters do with the bat prior to swinging.

I agree, and am of the opinion that masks should be worn (DD is a third baseman). With bats and balls being as "hot" as they are, our fields short and the game quick, taking a ball to the face or head could be devastating and something that none of us want to witness. Scary when you think about it! I believe they will be mandatory in the very near future.

CH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA