Time For A Rule Change!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2013
Something I try to get the athletes to watch is the batters foot setup on the bunt. They usually are not in full bunt set up on a pull back. Works a fair amount of times. Some also use a different grip on the upper batting hand than they normally would. Little things to look for.

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
Just the conversation and the progression of matters. No particular "stats" to support but generally, "safety concerns" typically end up being implemented.

CH

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
At younger ages and most playing levels, a RH batter isn't typically able to show bunt anywhere near ball release and then PULL the ball off a full swing. However, a skilled LH batter might be able to slap it toward 3B after showing bunt. Teach your players not to fully commit to bunt defense unless the batter is in a bunting position at ball release. The game situation usually tells you whether a bunt is likely or not.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My DD #3 did something a little different in a 10U tournament once.

There was a team they played 3x in that tournament. In the first two games, coach had her bunt Every. At. Bat. I mean, she would bunt in situations that seemed crazy.

Last at bat in the second game, was a perfect bunting situation. Finally, the other team came in to defend the bunt. Except she didn't bunt. She didn't even SHOW a bunt. She hit a 2 RBI double, winning the game.

At the younger ages, you usually don't NEED to fake a bunt. The defense is often so confused as to what to do anyway.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
At younger ages and most playing levels, a RH batter isn't typically able to show bunt anywhere near ball release and then PULL the ball off a full swing. However, a skilled LH batter might be able to slap it toward 3B after showing bunt. Teach your players not to fully commit to bunt defense unless the batter is in a bunting position at ball release. The game situation usually tells you whether a bunt is likely or not.

I like the idea of a slapper faking a bunt.

DD #3 is a righty, but she is just starting to learn to slap. I've worked with her some on LH bunting. If she can ever get to where she can fake a LH bunt then follow with a slap, that would be nice. That might take a few years for her to learn, though.

May 10, 2013
USA
I have never liked this, and won't teach it. With that being said, if you must do this, fine, just don't complain when the next pitch is in the middle of your back. Afterall, thats part of the game...

I hope your being sarcastic! If you did that to my 9yo, you and me would be meeting in the parking lot, you can guarantee that!

Feb 7, 2013
With that being said, if you must do this, fine, just don't complain when the next pitch is in the middle of your back. Afterall, thats part of the game...

That is NEVER part of the game. Any coach advocating intentionally throwing at batters should be banned from coaching. Let's put a stop to this ignorant and barbaric practice.

Jun 7, 2013
That is NEVER part of the game. Any coach advocating intentionally throwing at batters should be banned from coaching. Let's put a stop to this ignorant and barbaric practice.

I agree that intentionally throwing at batters is NOT part of the game. With that said, in all the games that I've coached I have never felt that one of my batters was intentionally thrown at. So, hopefully, this is very, very rare.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I agree that intentionally throwing at batters is NOT part of the game. With that said, in all the games that I've coached I have never felt that one of my batters was intentionally thrown at. So, hopefully, this is very, very rare.

I don't have the experience that others have. Two of my DDs have played softball, both have gotten HBP, never intentionally. DD #3 pitches, and she has hit girls with pitches, but NEVER intentionally.

I remember one scary time when it looked like DD #3 might've gotten seriously injured by a pitch, which bounced off her knee. Fortunately, she turned the way players are supposed to, which minimized the impact. Painful, and she was out the rest of the game, but no lasting damage. That was a friendly. The pitcher and both coaches came over the her dugout later in the game to apologize and see how she was doing. The pitcher's father and grandfather apologized. The pitcher's HC sent me an email that evening to see how DD #3 was doing.

Hey, getting hit by a pitch UNintentionally is part of the game. It takes a bit of the sting off knowing the pitcher would never, never, never even THINK of doing something like that intentionally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA