thought you all could use a chuckle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Grab a ball then go out and try it. I'd been working on the crop here and there for months with nothing and recently tried it again emphasizing brush. Bingo! Not perfect and consistent, but the closest I've got yet. I'm partial to the palm-up myself, but prolly only because I've never been able to master the palm down...

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
you never know what you are going to get here, and you are never done learning, two days ago I would have bet $100 that instruction that takes a girl of the power line like the video would be pilloried by the forum. To find out someone as renowned as coach Gillis actually teaches something similar just shows how I need to keep learning. Back to why Gillis thinks a little over stepping of the powerline is a fundamental. Does anyone know his reasoning behind this? I thought about it yesterday and could not connect any dots as to why this is a good thing other than to cheat the curve a little by giving it a little angle advantage (step right throw left) ala the screwball (step left throw right). I would also venture a guess that if we had to pick some champions of the stay on the powerline side, I am confident Hillhouse would fall into this camp based on some of his teachings and I suspect so would Senor Pauly/Javasource/BM although I have never heard them take a stance on it. Whatever happened to BM btw ?

Mind you, I am not a powerline Nazi, I encourage DD to play with the front foot for location control (but only a couple of inches either way) and I see the advantage of a step to the left for the screwball (RHP) since they don't break like a curveball can so they need a little cheat to sell it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The ball isn't curving or dropping.

I hope the book they advertise is equally as good: "How To Develop A Killer Fastpitch Softball Team… Without Wasting Time or Effort!"

My favorite testimonial: "My team went undefeated (8-0) during the season."

Wow...8-0 over an entire season.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
DFP is like a box of chocolates... ;)

What is that they say... opinions are like... So here's mine... ;)

I was suprised to hear that this is an absolute. To that, I disagree. It's no secret that some use stride manipulation to change the line that they pitch on, just watch Nelson throw a couple pitches vs her screw... but what the forearm does is more important, IMO.

As to the originall video... holy smokes... was that the entire clinic?! I did get a chuckle... especially when she repeatedly says to get on top of the ball early... and then to suck that elbow in. Talk about opposing instruction!

Also, using a young kid that's throwing 40 to showcase a drop is a tad odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet