Pitching Rule -- Hand cannot be outside of the elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Any umps here ever call that? Watched a girl dominate this past weekend and it looked like she was a shortstop turning 2 on every pitch. Never got called.

Feb 15, 2017
Ive seen that too - like submarine style. Girl gave us fits even though she wasn’t throwing that hard. Didn’t realize that was a rules violation but it makes sense.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Opinion...

Rule make no sense as it is written, not sure how to write the rule either.

It comes down to ump.

Never faced a P I think you are describing but I would have an Issue with it if they were good.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I've seen it called. My daughter plays with a girl that gave up pitching for two years because she was getting called for it (12U). She inexplicably just started throwing that way and couldn't change it. Came back to pitching earlier this year and is doing remarkably well, all things considered.

Nov 4, 2015
I would love to see a video of what you are describing. Is she bending over or is the hand getting a long ways from the body?

Jun 22, 2008
Technically the rule doesnt say anything about the hand other than it must be below the hip, it is the wrist that cannot be any further from the body than the elbow.

Did it look something like this?

Jun 19, 2016
I have seen one a lot worse than the video. She is a total sidearm thrower and never gets called. She bends her elbow almost 90 degrees.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Any umps here ever call that? Watched a girl dominate this past weekend and it looked like she was a shortstop turning 2 on every pitch. Never got called.
I've had a couple of pitchers in my career who have come close to pitching with the wrist outside of the elbow, but it's really hard to discern when they move the hand so quickly during the delivery. It's got to be blatantly obvious like in comp's video before I would call it.

But I definitely would call it. It gives the pitcher an illegal advantage, the same as if she stepped outside the 24" lane in front of the pitcher's plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598