The Pitcher's Father

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
So true... in the lower leagues a good pitcher and catcher are game winners. Sometimes nobody else even gets to/has to make any plays in the field.

For example our last 10U game.
Our team: 7 runs/ 1 hit/ 11 walks/ 3 HBP, 3 Ks
Other team 3 runs/ 3 hits/ 1 walk/ 1 HBP, 9 Ks

Our pitcher wasn't that good... the other team would swing at almost every pitch no matter the direction or height. They hit 3 balls all game.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD #3 says she has worked out how her rec ball team can win most of its games.

There are 3 TB players on the team, all from her TB team. DD #3 and another player both pitch, and can catch if needed.

So, DD #3 says the perfect strategy is to have the two pitchers each take 2 innings, and catch each other. Put the other TB player on 1B, and that's all you need to win. (Last fall DD #3 would average about 5 k for every 2 inning outing in rec league. The other out was usually out at 1B).

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Oops, good point. I stand corrected.

But, Lets play a game with just a pitcher, no other defense at all. If the pitcher is the only important position then that should be all a team needs. One player. Put a pitcher in the circle and that's it and lets see what happens.

I think most are missing the point. While the pitcher is one of the most important positions, its not the singular most important. If the catcher cant catch, you will be screwed also. Have a really weak first base that ducks when the ball is thrown to her, you're done. Can you get away with 2 outfielders? Even no outfielders? Yes, but you better be able to hit the ball when your team is at bat. But, I do not disagree that a really weak pitcher with a lot of walks will kill a team. Once again, for that team to be able to compete they better be good at hitting.

Point is, softball is a team sport and you cannot rely on one singular player to make or break the team.

I think we all agree it takes 9 to play the game outside of league ball.

However, you keep saying we are missing the point when I think you may be the one missing the point.

In your OP you questioned the pitcher as the most important position on the field. Many took you to task about trying to play a game with a fill in pitcher versus playing with fill in players in other positions.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think we all agree it takes 9 to play the game outside of league ball.

However, you keep saying we are missing the point when I think you may be the one missing the point.

In your OP you questioned the pitcher as the most important position on the field. Many took you to task about trying to play a game with a fill in pitcher versus playing with fill in players in other positions.

Exactly.

DD #3 can play any position, although she never catches in TB. Reason is, it takes a lot of work to be a really good catcher, and she is good enough for rec league, but not TB, except maybe as a dire emergency catcher.

DD #3 can learn a new position very quickly. One tournament she played 5 different positions, some of them difficult to learn: P, SS, 3B, LF and CF.

The amount of work it would take her to fill in some position other than P or C would be a few practices at most. It would take her a little longer if she wanted to be a really good catcher, but she could do it in one season if she had to. It takes years to make a good pitcher.

Jan 23, 2014
My dd is pretty clearly the best pitcher on her 10u team. I'm Starting to wonder if she will get to keep her #1 spot as the moved up to B this spring and the catchers can't handle her pitches. We haven't played a tourney yet, so we shall see. It seems like a poor management move to keep her in the circle if the catcher can't catch it. Her drop she's been working hard on will probablY not get thrown this year:( I'd give anything to have a stud catcher on the team. Heck, I'd give a lot to have a catcher on the team that aspires to be a great catcher. There is something magical about watching a great catcher play. My dd and I share Salvy Perez as our favorite MLB player. Maybe it's subconscious:) My point is a great pitcher isn't much if the catcher can't rise to her level, or get close to it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At times my DD was relegated to throwing only fastballs her Senior year in HS when the coach insisted on playing a catcher that could not handle her other pitches.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Fewer dropped 3rd strikes. That is just one reason why great catchers are worth their weight in gold.

More borderline pitches called as strikes (framing).
Fewer stolen bases.
Good communication with the pitcher, so better pitches.

Which just goes to show why it is always the catcher's fault if something goes wrong. ;)

Jun 7, 2013
Fewer dropped 3rd strikes. That is just one reason why great catchers are worth their weight in gold.

More borderline pitches called as strikes (framing).
Fewer stolen bases.
Good communication with the pitcher, so better pitches.

Which just goes to show why it is always the catcher's fault if something goes wrong. ;)

As father of two pitchers, you gave me another player on the field to blame. Instead of blaming the shortstop for the throwing error or the outfielder for missing the fly ball, I will just blame the catcher.

Good post!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am always thrilled to have an awesome catcher behind the plate as it does make a big difference. But as long as they do not hinder the pitcher I am a happy coach. Some catchers will never be elite, but with just a little work, just 2 weeks they do not have to suck.

Jul 6, 2013
Of all the things to dispute on this thread how is it that you can dispute that the pitcher is the only player who touches the ball on every pitch? Unless the opposing team never so much as fouls a ball off during a game and the catcher receives every single pitch, its obviously true.

Well, this is clearly because the pitcher missed her spots. If she's throwing them where I'm calling them, they won't touch her. :p

And can everyone quit with the "would such and such trade their all world pitcher for another player" lines? You're only enhancing the argument for the other side....in that you put as much value into your 12U DD rec pitcher as some of the best to ever pitch a ball. After all, that's exactly what the original post was about!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole