The myth of the balanced lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
That's conventional thinking. Stats say otherwise: 3 hole is for your 5th best hitter. The 3 hole batter comes to the plate with fewer runners on base than the 4 or 5 hole hitters, on average.

It makes sense that #4 or #5 hitters have more runners on base if teams are batting their best hitter in the #3 spot. If runners on base were the gauge why would you bat the best hitter in the #1 spot with no one on base?

Jan 24, 2009
. Stats say otherwise.

No they don't. Stats might say the following...

. The 3 hole batter comes to the plate with fewer runners on base than the 4 or 5 hole hitters, on average.

...but that is because

...the three hole (your best hitter) is always on base when 4-5 come to the plate, even when she leads off an inning...which she can do very well too...because she is the best hitter in the lineup.

Be careful in the conclusions you draw from stats alone.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If I don't have a slapper, high-batting-average hitter, or power/homerun hitter, I definitely look for one in picking Varsity, and it could get them on the team as opposed to going to JV.

Why?

Not saying you're wrong. Well, actually, I do lean toward thinking balance and diversity is overrated if not meaningless.

But what is your philosophy there?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
It makes sense that #4 or #5 hitters have more runners on base if teams are batting their best hitter in the #3 spot. If runners on base were the gauge why would you bat the best hitter in the #1 spot with no one on base?

Again, that's the conventional logic. The reality is that the #3 hitter comes up with 2 outs, none on quite often - enough so that this spot isn't as important as some think it is.

Runners on is the measure for some spots, but not all. Obviosuly someone has to get on, first, hence the high OBP desired in the #1 slot.

I'm not opining here, just repeating the results of thorough statistical analyses.

Optimizing Your Lineup By The Book - Beyond the Box Score

Admittedly, the differences are small, but not insignificant.

Take it or leave it, but these stats don't lie.

Dec 8, 2014
...because...the three hole (your best hitter) is always on base when 4-5 come to the plate, even when she leads off an inning...which she can do very well too...because she is the best hitter in the lineup.

Agree that 3 hole should be one of your better hitters. I look at it as the first 3 spots in the order are going to get the most at bats during a game and throughout the season. Who do I want to get the extra opportunities?

Feb 17, 2014
Are baseball and softball different enough for us to think about this differently? I think slappers add a dimension to softball that you don't have in baseball.

May 3, 2014
Agree with best overall hitter batting #1 - if she can run all the more reason. Been fortunate enough to have a leadoff hitter the last couple of years that can put us up 1-0 or get on via bunt or walk and then steal 2B. I tend to stack the first 4 slots with the same type of hitter as #1 except in descending order. My "power" hitters hit 5 and on and then try to bat a speedy slapper last.

Nov 18, 2013
Again, that's the conventional logic. The reality is that the #3 hitter comes up with 2 outs, none on quite often - enough so that this spot isn't as important as some think it is.

Runners on is the measure for some spots, but not all. Obviosuly someone has to get on, first, hence the high OBP desired in the #1 slot.

I'm not opining here, just repeating the results of thorough statistical analyses.

Optimizing Your Lineup By The Book - Beyond the Box Score

Admittedly, the differences are small, but not insignificant.

Take it or leave it, but these stats don't lie.

Stats lie all the time and with enough research someone could write a book stating why your best hitter should be in the #9 spot. Batting the best hitter somewhere other than #3 is an interesting thought that may have merit, but you can't read a book or a post online and be convinced everyone else in the baseball/softball world is wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207