The LSU Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Get defensive much rd? I never said you criticized anything. Guilty conscience maybe?

Guys, there is zero that you are going to do to get me to try to be a defense for Howard or what he teaches here. I can tell you what he teaches, the fact that it absolutely works, and my 11 ground ball hitting DD went to hitting balls out of 200 foot fences, but I would imagine that none of that would matter. Why? Because a guy who is on TV coaching one of the top hitting teams in the country teaches something that you try to use as a punch line. But you know what? You're here, and he's there. There's a reason for that. Sorry it conflicts with what you try to profess as gospel. Have a great day!

Gospel?

Not following you. Perhaps you mean the "Hanson Principle". No question, what is being instructed here does not pass the filter of the "Hanson Principle".

You might look at some actual LSU game swing clips. Try to verify if what you see being taught here ended up in their game swing.

The video does serve as good input for the Hall of Shame.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Whom is getting defensive now.....
I can tell you what he teaches, the fact that it absolutely works, and my 11 ground ball hitting DD went to hitting balls out of 200 foot fences, but I would imagine that none of that would matter.
Would love to see video of that....who doesn't want to see and 11 yr old going yard....I sure would. It would shut me up wouldn't it.:p
I thank you in advance for posting the video.
Added:
Sorry it conflicts with what you try to profess as gospel.
What do I profess as 'gospel'....
Is it 'turning the barrel to the ball'.
This isn't 'turning the barrel to the ball'.

If a DD swings just like this then she will hit ground balls.
That is GOSPEL.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
This drill bypasses this

and goes straight to this...With the absence of torso rotation...

so how does that emphasis lead to this?
bianka_bell_hr_ok_20150321_1st__side_zpsz4w8mmcy.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Spot on Tjintx! The drill as shown bypasses the "short-to" ... the "around" ... the "working of the barrel" into its swing arc ... the "building of structure along the forearms" by using the hands at 'swing launch'.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
MannyOutFrom.gif

Sorry that it seems I am pushing my 'gospel' but, there are dads like myself that are doing it on their own. This site is all most have to figure out what is 'correct swing mechanics'.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here you go some new GOSPEL:
"dropping the pig in a tornado" dropping a barrel into a whipping body

No.... dropping the pig in a tornado"
200.gif

Jul 6, 2013
Lol. No video RD. I'm usually standing on 3rd base. But I can promise you, if some of the folks here ever figured out who I am, they would be able to back it up. You see though, it doesn't matter to me. I got into coaching to get the girls I coach and my DDs better. I know what they do. I don't need your confirmation. I'm not doing this to make your DD better. That's your job. Lol.

I will say, though, it doesn't help you to post a video of Bianka teeing off on a ball knowing she's done this drill hundreds to thousands of times. Again, pound away at the keyboard. I think Howard is loading his tees up in his truck today to go coach the US National Team in Houston.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
[
I will say, though, it doesn't help you to post a video of Bianka teeing off on a ball knowing she's done this drill hundreds to thousands of times
I didn't post a video/gif of Bianka.
But I can promise you, if some of the folks here ever figured out who I am, they would be able to back it up
Not sure what I need to back up...I think I did back it up with my posts if that is what you mean.
But I can promise you, if some of the folks here ever figured out who I am, they would be able to back it up
You're trying to give everyone the 'impression' that your a college coach? Then why take your DD to Howard ( again are we taking about Howard Dobson) for hitting lessons.
I'm not doing this to make your DD better.
See we agree on something. My DD does OK with dad as her hitting coach.
Again sorry for not liking 'your' drill. jmho.
Added:
I think Howard is loading his tees up in his truck today to go coach the US National Team in Houston.
Ken Eriksen told Howard to leave his tees home.....:p (I make joke).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
How in the world did you get that I was saying I am a college coach? See, there's the problem. You folks like to assume too much stuff. I am far from a college coach. I was saying that, not in the macho "if you knew who I was" way, but in the, "I'd rather be anonymous on a message board, but I know a few folks who are here" way. Trust me...I'm no one important. But again, I recognize a few names and stories, and my DD plays for a fairly successful organization in the area, and as such, a few of those folks know who she is. That is all.

As far as the rest of it, whatever. Don't have the energy to argue back and forth, nor the desire. I would suggest you actually shoot the guy an email and ask him a few things. Look at a gif of the full swings. Look at what he is trying to teach. Not what you think a prototypical swing has to look like (which I agree with you on). The drill is an exxageration to teach hand position and movement. If you focus on the hands of the mlb swings you posted, they are much the same. Trust me when I tell you, he uses this tee to work hand movement and placement.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How in the world did you get that I was saying I am a college coach? See, there's the problem. You folks like to assume too much stuff. I am far from a college coach. I was saying that, not in the macho "if you knew who I was" way, but in the, "I'd rather be anonymous on a message board, but I know a few folks who are here" way. Trust me...I'm no one important. But again, I recognize a few names and stories, and my DD plays for a fairly successful organization in the area, and as such, a few of those folks know who she is. That is all.

As far as the rest of it, whatever. Don't have the energy to argue back and forth, nor the desire. I would suggest you actually shoot the guy an email and ask him a few things. Look at a gif of the full swings. Look at what he is trying to teach. Not what you think a prototypical swing has to look like (which I agree with you on). The drill is an exxageration to teach hand position and movement. If you focus on the hands of the mlb swings you posted, they are much the same. Trust me when I tell you, he uses this tee to work hand movement and placement.

I simply stated that I didn't care for this drill....I gave examples of why it didn't match what I want my DD doing in her swing.
It was a discussion. Like I said my DD does OK....truthful no one really cares how she really is doing. DD is 16 yrs old and is still playing softball. Some DD's and DS may not be able to play that long for various reasons( not meant towards any poster).
Again no arguement on my side. JMHO as a dad and not a coach.
Added:
Not that you may or may not care. DD is playing/tried out and was selected to this:
http://mlb.mlb.com/phi/community/softball_carpenter_cup.jsp
. The method a team is selected is up to each individual franchise. The team can be selected using each league's All-Star team or via tryouts.
In our area it is supposedly the best of the best high school players. The purpose of the Softball Carpenter Cup is to give the best high school players in the tri-state area the opportunity to showcase their talents in front of college scouts. The hope is that this tournament, like the baseball Carpenter Cup Classic, will be a catalyst for many players to receive scholarships or admission to some of the country's finest universities. The inaugural tournament was played in June of 2005 and Delaware South (Gold) claimed the first title.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves