The LSU Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Swing Training - Howard Dobson - LSU [VIDEO]
This...

Would be this:
8254d1432936576-lsu-thread-screenshot_2015-05-29-16-51-31.jpg

if done off of higher tee..
Mystery solved.
I'm not a fan of this drill. Again JMHO as a dad and not a coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 6, 2013
My daughter has used this setup and drill with Howard. I was skeptical with it at first as well, but being as he has more credentials than me or any of us here, I was open to it. Let me just say that I giggle now sometimes when I see folks condemning what he teaches, or the use of this device. As he said, it is used to exaggerate a motion to have them get a feel for what they should be doing. I saw the results of it with my DD. And absolutely can not wait to get her back with him.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My daughter has used this setup and drill with Howard. I was skeptical with it at first as well, but being as he has more credentials than me or any of us here, I was open to it. Let me just say that I giggle now sometimes when I see folks condemning what he teaches, or the use of this device. As he said, it is used to exaggerate a motion to have them get a feel for what they should be doing. I saw the results of it with my DD. And absolutely can not wait to get her back with him.

Giggle away .....

It’s a horrible drill.

Make no mistake about it …. This instruction is encouraging the swing to be in the frontal plane. Howard even states … “what I do want right now is for her to feel her hands get to that spot ACROSS HER CHEST”.

Simply horrible training.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let me just say that I giggle now sometimes when I see folks condemning what he teaches, or the use of this device.
I could use a good 'giggle' can you point me where I condemend any thing Howard teaches/said ( not sure which howard we are speaking about at this point).
I said:
I'm not a fan of this drill.
As he said, it is used to exaggerate a motion to have them get a feel for what they should be doing.
Since you are fimiliar with this drill. Can you explain why I would want my DD to 'exaggerate' moving her hands forward with no turning of the bat towards the ball. Then ending with a 'flick' of the bat to the ball.
So I can be in on the giggling.;)

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you want your DD's to hit ground balls. I know I don't nor does my DD.
CCabreraSwivel.gif

My daughter has used this setup and drill with Howard. I was skeptical with it at first as well, but being as he has more credentials than me or any of us here, I was open to it
You are free to be 'open' to what works for you and your DD. I have no credentials. Like I posted I am just a dad and not a coach.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Since you are fimiliar with this drill. Can you explain why I would want my DD to 'exaggerate' moving her hands forward with no turning of the bat towards the ball. Then ending with a 'flick' of the bat to the ball.
So I can be in on the giggling.;)

Perhaps he wants to remove this here from her swing ....

CCabreraSwivel.gif

Jul 6, 2013
Get defensive much rd? I never said you criticized anything. Guilty conscience maybe?

Guys, there is zero that you are going to do to get me to try to be a defense for Howard or what he teaches here. I can tell you what he teaches, the fact that it absolutely works, and my 11 ground ball hitting DD went to hitting balls out of 200 foot fences, but I would imagine that none of that would matter. Why? Because a guy who is on TV coaching one of the top hitting teams in the country teaches something that you try to use as a punch line. But you know what? You're here, and he's there. There's a reason for that. Sorry it conflicts with what you try to profess as gospel. Have a great day!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00