The great Gatorade debate finally settled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Last Saturday, I asked the HC to pull my daughter before an inning was over. I know many coaches and parents don't like that, but I felt a change was best for the team AND for DD in that moment. She'd pitched 2 scoreless innings and then walked the first 2 batters in the top of the 6th. The next batter popped one up to short RF and it was dropped. Eventually, the other team took the lead and IMO it was a game our team needed to win to get a better Sunday draw. A stretch of 9 balls vs 3 strikes told me it was time for a change and the HC went with my suggestion. I know his philosophy is to let them work through it, but I could see it was a sugar crash that she wasn't going to recover from. She made a mental error on a bunt which seemed to be an indication she was beginning to lose focus. We talked about it afterwards and he said he does like for them to face adversity and work through it, but he added he had no problems with me making that call. Our team is loaded with good pitching. DD had no problem with it at all.

Mom was pissed, though. She doesn't really understand what a team game is. There are those girls who would be humiliated or their confidence shot with the mid-inning change, but Mojo is not that kid. I always tell her to drink more water than Gatorade and not to even take sugar into the dugout, but she had elected to ignore my counsel. When Coach called her number, she was hyped up and ready, but by that 3rd inning of work, the breakdown was evident. It may sound mean, but it took something like this for her to finally understand what Daddy is talking about.

On Sunday, she hydrated herself with water all day and then when it was time for her to pitch in the Championship game, she was ready to answer the bell and performed very well against the strongest opponent this team had ever seen, holding them to 3 runs (1 earned) in her 2 innings. They didn't get the win, but their overall performance on the weekend was one they and the parents will not soon forget.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
While I and most others will agree that drinking more water then sport drink is better for the players, drinking it the morning of is not the only answer. If you are expecting heat and games then they need to drink 4-5 more glasses of water a day for a few days before they play. Then while playing they need to continue a greater volume of water.

My AC (former college player) tells them 'IT' should look more like lemon-aid then apple juice and if you don't go at all you are seriously dehydrated.

For instance this weekend we have 3 games on Sat and 3 on Sun in heat of 98 highs and heat index above 100. They got an email from me to stop all pop intake and drink more water starting Thursday.

Jul 26, 2010
I hate gatorade. These kids aren't running marathons, they don't need what plants crave to keep them going. We have a parent who always brings a 5 gallon cooler of gatorade and water. I always tell the kids I peed in the gatorade and that they should drink it at their peril.

Then again, you have nutjob parents giving their kids monster energy drinks and 5 hour energy before the game. They're always the worst and most inconsistent players on the team.

-W

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If you are dehydrated you need a drink with carbs in it , it absorbs much quicker than water alone. Jazz is correct in that if water alone you need to hydrate for days prior.

Jul 14, 2010
DD has had a lot of success with Performance by Shaklee. No sugar - Olympians use it - tastes like Tang. She won't drink Gatorade anymore and knows water isn't enough - she's a teenager so I can't pay her to say/do anything :). Already pre-hydrating with water for this coming weekend...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I made that mistake in the past, feeding the girls too much Gatorade without water to go with it. It was one of those 95 degree/95% humidity tournaments, and I had girls dropping like flies. One girl who was normally a very reliable outfielder dropped an easy fly ball. She looked a little off, and when I went out to check on her she looked like she was about to pass out. Got her off the field quickly and sent her to sit in the shade.

Lesson learned. I now insist they drink water.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had workers here at home that drank sports drinks, but said to always cut it in 1/2 with water. I am drinking pediolyte in this 111 degree heat, in Tucson.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole