The great Gatorade debate finally settled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Looking at that pamphlet it is sponsored by Gatorade..this is clearly an advertisement disguised as scientific information.

I didn't look at it that close, but your right !!! I advocate nothing but, pure water, drank out of stainless still, with sea salt in it.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I learned a few things here!

Thankz Steve, You know I just copy and pasted it. I have had this info, and have applied it w/DD for 4 years now. The main parallel is that pitching is the same way. It is a everyday 365/24-7 endeavor. I never bought into to the "Dream the Dream". When faced with haveing to neutralize alot of the slogans, and total mis-information spewed on DD, I have chose to float with it, and channel my creativity towards her being able to parrot the same words, but with only the applications of truth. For example... When DD starts her way up the stairs to bed, and we are in a Fastpitch Crisis, or decision making delays, I have her stop at the 3rd step for the hug, then have her look me in the eyes, and I say "Dream the Dream"... She knows that, that means, that she is entering a body drought, and that we need insight.... TONIGHT. Not the year after next, on approaching 12U... not the College delusions... We need direction BY Tomorrow. We have always made "our" plays based on her dreams...I know you already got it... Most dreams are De-hydrated...most teachings come from De-hydrated teachers.... Hope this substantiates the 24 in my statement. Goday

Oct 19, 2009
When our team played in the World Series in Pigeon Forge, TN as a 10U and 12U teams, it was mid July and always hot and humid. I was the coach and I gave the kids and parents a regiment for starting fluid (water) days before the tournament started. No soft drinks, sport drinks and tea in moderation. IMO taking away all caffeine all of a sudden can cause a problem, but no caffeine while playing. We went out of our way to keep the kids as comfortable as possible, we had plenty of ice and water, cool towels and ammonia water.

We played for 3 years and never had a kid have a problem, but I saw many teams that had kids getting sick.

I remember during the college world series there was some story a few years ago where coaches were having players submerge their legs in cool water in between games and this was reported to have helped cool the players down.

We’re from Georgia we don’t say Gatorade!!!!! :mad:

May 1, 2011
I have a take on this. And, if anyone thinks this is a line of BS, this particular gentlemen WAS a friend of my BIL's. Kind of opened our eyes to something, and ever since this happened, all of our girls due a 2-1 water to gatorade regimen. Some of our girls actually mix the two throughout the day. This is a story about a man that died during an extremem canoe race in Texas where he was drinking nothing but water. This is an extreme example, BUT, playing 6-7 games in 95+ degree heat is pretty extreme if you ask me. DD recently caught 6 games straight on a day like that, and I didn't know whether to be proud (tough and determined) or worried.

Water intoxication?
Reports are that this guy may have actually died from drinking too much water. Reports are that he posted prior to the race regarding how much water he was taking along and that he drank much more water than the average participant. Obviously this is an extreme case, but still shows the need to balance your water intake along with drinks like Gatorade that replenish sodium and other electrolytes.

Sodium

When you perspire, your body loses about 900 to 1400 milligrams of sodium per liter of sweat (Shirreffs & Maughan, Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews 28: 27-32, 2000). Sodium is an important component of blood; having sufficient sodium in the blood helps keep a sufficient volume of water in the blood. Ingestion of sodium during exercise should also help prevent hyponatremia, a condition in which the concentration of sodium in the blood becomes dangerously low (Convertino et al., Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 28: i-vii, 1996; Vrijens & Rehrer, Journal of Applied Physiology 86: 1847-51, 1999; Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 32: 2130-45, 2000; Speedy et al., Emergency Medicine 13: 17-27, 2001).

The sodium content of Gatorade is about 450 milligrams per liter; for Powerade, it is 225 mg/L. Thus Gatorade does a somewhat better job of replacing the sodium lost in sweat.

Dripping Springs man dies in canoe race.

Man died due to hyponatremia, lack of sodium

GONZALES COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) - A man from Dripping Springs died on Monday after participating in the Texas Water Safari this past weekend.

According to the Texas Water Safari Board, Brad Ellis was transported to the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio on Sunday morning; he died the next day due to hyponatremia.

Hyponatremia is a metabolic condition in which there is not enough sodium in the body. It is not known if Ellis had any medical conditions.

According to Dan Waddel, game warden for the Texas Parks and Wildlife, Ellis fell ill while on the Guadalupe River, about 11 miles downstream from Gonzales .

Ellis’ teammate told authorities that Ellis fell out of the canoe around 4:30 a.m. on Sunday. Passing canoers helped Ellis out of the water and another person went to the shore, called 911 and gave emergency officials the exact GPS location of where they were.

Ellis’ teammate told authorities that Ellis was hot and dehydrated on Saturday but that Ellis had been drinking water.

Ellis was a paddler in boat 22.

In a statement on the Texas Water Safari’s website, “This is the first death during the running of the 260-mile canoe race in its 50-year history.”

The race is a nonstop marathon that runs from San Marcos to Corpus Christi.

Jul 26, 2010
It's possible, but playing 5-6 games of softball in the extreme heat is. . . still playing softball. It's long stretches of boredom broken by brief spurts of activity.

I'd give a marathon runner, or even soccer and basketball players very different advice. Look at the pitchers playing college ball today (who are arguably the most active athletes on their team save catchers), they're clearly not doing cardio for 5 hours in the sun every weekend.

-W

May 1, 2011
We're talking mainly about replenishing what the body loses through sweat correct? Marathon runners and soccer players are understandable. But, in Houston, Texas where it's crazy hot, and the humidity just DOESN'T GO AWAY, they're sweating when they've got their shoes off, resting in the shade. That's all I'm saying. This guy died in a Canoe Race. And, while it says race, the class that these guys were in was more about just finishing the race. They weren't trying to set any waterspeed records. All he did was drink waterwaterwater...and basically washed all the electrolytes and sodium out of his body, had a seizure, and ended up losing his life. I'm not saying this WILL happen. It's rare, and most of the examples I've seen refer to marathon runners. However, this type of information needs to be out there. I for one don't just shovel Gatorade/Powerade at my kid all day, but I think a good 70/30 of water to Gatorade is probably a safe/good plan is all.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Sodium replacement. Isn't that what the sunflower seeds are for?

My take on that is that any seed is naturally packaged to last up to thousands of years. Once the package has been opened... cracked, shelled or halved...ect, it becomes rapidly rancid. I only encourage my DD to eat Almonds, that have been soaked in distilled water over night, and the brown packaging removed, with coconut oil & Himalayan Sea Salt. JMHO So yes it could be said that @ games chewing sunflower seed is a sodium delivery...

But the sodium/potassium balance is way too critical and needs the 365 approach. Not to mention the triggering of the digestive enzymes by chewing anything.(and /high/low emotions...peeked by Adrenalin & her 5 sisters) The optimum amount enzymes are only available from (ballpark) 11:30 am-1:30 pm.(friendly Fact) and are naturally triggered by aroma. Unless you are eating something you have never had before... the smell of the preparation even regulates the amount needed. The mind can't con the body...it knows when it's what you like, and can have you prepared for the second helping. But it also realizes when the meal is going to be worthless, so it limits them to the amount of nutrients you are really going to upload... as it yields to the immune systems preparation for its counter punch, and the fight that in getting ready to happen the rest of the 24-36 hour cycle. The immune systems of a healthy person will dismantle the meal, and usher it to the exit...until clogging comes into play...once it sees the liver can't handle it, and its warehouse is full of the remnants... It looks for places farthest from all the other organs.... once those are used up for a quick drop off it will have to allow it remain sludge and coat the colon...until it has to let it take the final option... a calcium coated Quarantine,( but if by chance you would have your Cal/mag in balance, it can convert to plaque and use arteries )..... that can also keep the toxicity from entering the blood (it's called self protection by me, & cancer to others). By quick I mean that It has to prioritize, once it get's the signal that the enzymes has just passed on another load of incoming pollution ... (continued)

Anyway as it relates to Fastpitch... you drink the artificial sugars...chew away your enzymes...clog you systems with the residues of fight or flight...leave in either elation or dis pare to go eat... You walk into a place that has so many combination of aromas that the 10% of the enzymes that you have for digestion is drunk...it immediately recognizes that there are to many combination of herbs and spices...and only reads the aroma's of the Waring signals... perfumes, air fresheners, sanitizes...ect. But that's better than going thru the drive thru... your only picking up the smell of the dumpsters. and maybe the exhaust of the ones in front of you...:cool:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd