The Auburn Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Melero Pattern/Sequence

wMWtkJ.gif

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I watched a couple of the Auburn vs. GSU games on SECN+ and the GSU pitchers were not doing themselves any favors. They were behind on the count to almost every batter and had numerous walks, HBP, and wild pitches/passed balls. When they did throw strikes it looked like the Auburn batters were taking BP. The SEC will be a lot of fun to watch this year when league play starts. A week ago there were 9 SEC teams in the Top 25. Auburn has some great offensive firepower, but I am not sure how far their pitching will take them.

Jan 7, 2013
This quote by Morgan Estell sums up AU's offensive firepower.

“The home runs give confidence for other people,” Estell said. “We’re trying to put hard hits on the ground. Both of my home runs were a hard ground ball mentality that ended up being home runs."

If you attend one of the Tigers games, you can hear Coach C. Myers calling for hard grounders and line drives. Basically their hitting philosophy is keep hitting the ball hard and limit popups.

DD attended a couple of their camps and Coach Scott Woodard said that when Myers got to Auburn most of the girls had a tendency to pull their front shoulder off the ball. Like most successful hitters in FP, they worked on a hybrid linear swing to the ball. (because we all know all swings are rotational, :rolleyes: ). It's the same swing and philosophy we see in Earleywines players at MO. Just different terminology. DD's hitting coach learned from the Myer's clan.

As far as pitching goes, we should see improvement from last years two starters. They improved depth with a left handed pticher (Walters), that done well in relief and is 5-0 on the year. Depth at pitching stopped them last year. An injury to Harper, forced Davis to carry the load too long and just ran out of gas. I expect to see them at WCWS this year, and their players are confident they will be there.

As stated before this will be an exciting year for Softball in the SEC.

Jan 7, 2013
One thing I see in these clips, if the pitcher misses her spot with Melero, she needs to miss to the outside.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Pretty sure the Mercer pitcher is one of my former students, Kirsten Stevens. Although I have no idea where she got that off-balance footwork. Definitely not from me.

I thought the same thing about her footwork. She actually pitched an ok game even with all that falling around. Sorry to hijack!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Auburn vs. Texas State is on SECN+ right now. 0-0 in the 3rd.

2-0 Auburn going to top of the 4th

2-2 Top of the 5th, Texas State still batting

3-2 Auburn bottom of 5th. Kacey Cooper hits a solo HR

6-2 Auburn headed to the 7th

6-2 final - Lexi Davis pitched the 7th for Auburn

Last edited: