Thank You...In Advance!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I'm new here, but I've read every word of this technical hitting forum and I can't get enough.

I spent 20 years umpiring fast pitch softball before finding my true passion 15 years into it, and that's teaching kids the game I love. I've been a HS asst varsity coach and travel head coach for the past 18 years. Two years ago I took a bunch of 10 & 11 y/o kids out of our local rec league and started a 12U travel team. But I spent much of the first year teaching them how to throw and catch and slide and bunt. The second year I taught them defense. Now, as we enter 14U play next year as a pure 13 y/o team, I realize that we'll never survive unless they learn to hit.

So, I dived in head first, reading and studying everything I could get my hands on concerning hitting. What a humbling experience to find out exactly what you don't know, but thought you did. I've been working on their videos marked up with the RVP system, and I'm astounded at what I see. I guess 60 frames a second uncovers a lot of flaws.

I told my asst coaches that there's nothing wrong with our team that another 4 runs a game wouldn't cure, so now the hard work begins. We start our winter workouts tomorrow night, and then Sunday mornings, and we go straight through for the next five months. I'll guess we'll see if it works out OK.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of the people who contribute their experience to this site and who allow even long time coaches like me to learn anew. Keep on learning and you get smarter and stay young! I won't be posting much, but I'll be here reading and learning.

Thank you!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Coach Ron, nice post. I agree with Marc that this is why there are websites such as this. The day any of us think that we know it all is the day that we should stop coaching. From that point, we can only hurt our players. JMHO!

Sep 17, 2009
Coach Ron, awesome. My experience is that working on hitting CAN pay huge results. Doesn't always happen in the first year but there WILL be a point when they turn the corner and start blowing teams out. Honest. : >

We played last year as a pure 13U team and some of our intensive catch/throw and defensive work paid off big time, and our hitting was OK.

This fall as a pure 14U team, our hitting clicked in (along with our overall maturity) and we started blowing teams out we used to struggle against two years ago and battled evenly last summer.

It just takes that concentrated effort you are already giving in other areas.

BEST of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi