Thank you for your advice!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
Western WA
This site and everyone on it helped me mellow out when I was told "if you aren't coaching there is no coach". I have taken all the advice and figured out what works for us. When we focus (it is 8U girls!) we aren't too shabby!

I printed out pictures of spiders and snakes and taped them to little cones for the girls to throw at. They love it! Now they are good at getting the ball in the area it needs to go. Not exact but you don't have to run a mile to get it!

I looked up stuff on YouTube and really love the instructional videos. The girls love the rhyme "Thumb to thigh, Elbow High, let it fly" for throwing. I showed them one of the videos on how to hold a bat as well and they took that and ran with it. But we are still working on the batting stance... they half hear me and think I say "dance" and start dancing... :rolleyes:

I had an unruly parent yelling at the girls during practice and showed her where in the parent "rules" that I wrote out and she signed that she was breaking the rule and since she broke the rule she had to help me for a practice. She realized it's harder than it looks to focus on everything going on when you are on the field. She is now their biggest supporter. Plus the girls thought it was great that "a mom" got in trouble. :p

I talked to the college coach and he is going to try to come out with some team members and practice with us!

I am still trying to figure out how to get them to catch the ball with the glove but I think most of the girls can't close their gloves because the gloves are new.

We are still working on a LOT but they are learning and having fun and I am learning too. Like don't turn your back on them... you might get a concussion! That was a fun dr trip! LOL

Oct 22, 2009
I am still trying to figure out how to get them to catch the ball with the glove but I think most of the girls can't close their gloves because the gloves are new.

I always tell the parents to try on the glove, even it's a little small, and if they can't catch with it, how can their child catch with it.

Had a new player I was working with this season--12u, her glove was absolutely horrible, and she never caught anything. I talked with her about getting a new glove and she did, and what do you know with the new glove she could actually catch!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1