Tensed arms when pitching/hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 12, 2015
So I have a couple of girls on my high school team that happen to be two of my better players,but I have a little problem with both of them one is my ace pitcher the other is my #2 pitcher.So he's the dilemma I have with them and actually with a few others to be honest.When there pitching they are so stiff shoulders arms I'm trying to get them to be loose so that they can whip the ball and utilize brush interference with the whip of the bottom portion of there are,but there arm is so stiff it's like it's one solid lever from the shoulder to the wrist so there not using the whip, and I've brought this to there attention and they tell me coach I can't relax it...So I was wondering if there are any exercises drills anything that I could do with these ladies to loosen there shoulder and be able to utilize the whip and brush contact.They have this same problem when batting there good up to contact point and then finish stiff instead of a nice relaxed wrap around finish.Ifyou have any ideas that would be great.Here are a few videos. Any help is Much appreciated!!https://vimeo.com/[https://vimeo.com/160768555URL]https://vimeo.com/160764356[/URL]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2015
For what it is worth here is my .02. She is currently throwing completely with her shoulder and that involves muscling it through....so she can't relax and still throw the same way. Get the body closer to the arm, get the body balanced (looks like she has a 200 lb arm), then keep that shoulder back and just relax and "throw" it. "Throw" it fast with a lot less effort then start pitching.

BTW she did not look like she was exactly onboard with fixing anything. Good luck Coach!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD went to a Furman softball camp a couple of years ago, and their coach, Kyle Jamieson, who played men's fastpitch, showed them his fastball and changeup. His fastball was a loose arm with lots of whip, while his changeup was the same grip, motion and arm speed with a stiff arm, especially the forearm clinching the ball tightly. It was impressive watching him throwing upper 70's up close.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
C.JPG
I think she's pretty close. I like FP Dad's suggestion of not trying to muscle the pitch with the shoulder. Give her immediate feedback to start, then ask her what she thought, then listen for her to catch it and self-correct before you can say anything. I'd also like to see her work on pulling down into release with both arms.

I have a younger one who was struggling with this and went the extra step to fix it. She went out to the shop and set up the Pocket Radar on a tripod so she could see the difference between muscling vs keeping her shoulders still and the lower arm loose. I believe she did the same in testing the difference between the 2 step and a rolling start (BTW, I saw her after a game at a recent tournament where she proudly reported her first no-hitter! Really bummed I missed it...)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2015
View attachment 10138
I think she's pretty close. I like FP Dad's suggestion of not trying to muscle the pitch with the shoulder. Give her immediate feedback to start, then ask her what she thought, then listen for her to catch it and self-correct before you can say anything. I'd also like to see her work on pulling down into release with both arms.

I have a younger one who was struggling with this and went the extra step to fix it. She went out to the shop and set up the Pocket Radar on a tripod so she could see the difference between muscling vs keeping her shoulders still and the lower arm loose. I believe she did the same in testing the difference between the 2 step and a rolling start (BTW, I saw her after a game at a recent tournament where she proudly reported her first no-hitter! Really bummed I missed it...)
Could you elaborate on keeping the shoulders still.Also any feedback on the other pitcher?

Sep 12, 2015
Correct no just having her throw from k postion.To be able to get a really good side view.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd like to see her firm up and resist torso rotation going into release and maintain about a 45 +/- angle. In the video, she appears to be emphasizing torso rotation in an effort to muscle the pitch. I don't mind a little follow through, but in her case--it seems excessive. The angles in the 3 and 4th photos above are what I'd shoot for.

Looks like the link to the other video got jumbled in your post. Do you have an intact link?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom