Tennessee coaches unhappy with California pitcher's shoe flap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is extremely rare for me to see any illegal pitches called in PA. My DD was called for 2 last year. Both in the same inning of the same game. After the second one I strolled out to ask the ump what the problem was. Evidently DD was not bringing her hands together long enough. He claimed she was only holding her hands together for 3/4 of a second instead of a full second. Explained it to DD. She smiled, and moved on... In three years of travel ball and over 200 games, I have only seen 1 leap called.

Personally, the rule itself doesn't matter. But as long as it is a rule, it should be followed. Either enforce it or change it. But don't leave it on the books and ignore it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The only time I hear parents complain about IP is after the girl mows through the top of the line up in the 1st. That's part of the problem.

I guess that I am just guilty on the other side of the spectrum. If the opposing pitcher is struggling I will not complain about IP's since they may switch to a stronger pitcher.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
DD had an IP called in the playoffs last year (her only one thus far). She took her position, brought her hands together and was waiting on the signal. Catcher asked for the signal again from coach. DD took her hands apart and wiped her brow while still on the rubber. Everyone from our team was ticked except DD. :D She called it a brain fart. The opposing pitcher leaped every time. Not even our coach noticed it. I guess it's just excepted, so I hope they change it.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I guess that I am just guilty on the other side of the spectrum. If the opposing pitcher is struggling I will not complain about IP's since they may switch to a stronger pitcher.

I would have empathy, but that makes me part of the problem too. It would just be easier to change the rule or enforce it. As soon as they ask for my opinion, I'll take care of this. ;)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Fowler changed her delivery, so that she was legal the next year. She was picture perfect. But, she soon went back to her familiar delivery.

Feb 7, 2013
Fowler changed her delivery, so that she was legal the next year. She was picture perfect. But, she soon went back to her familiar delivery.

That's where the 10,000 hours rule to be an expert hurts you. Once the mechanics are ingrained and mastered, its nearly impossible to fix.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We were in a U-trip A State tourney in MS. One of the favored teams had a pitcher that was illegal all day, everyday. Played them many times over the years. Now we didn't face them until the champ game, but observed her from pool play through the bracket leaping like a frog.

First pitch of that champ game, I ask blue for "time". "You do see she is leaping illegally, right"?

Ump, "well it's small and not giving her an advantage".

Me, "no advantage"? "They've brought her in all weekend when they were on the verge of losing, and now she's pitching the money game"? "The advantage is idiots like you who allow it".

Well, I did make it to the top of the 3rd before I was tossed on another stupid fielding call. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown that dirt at him after-all. Just call the game by the rules, that's all I/we ask. But heck, the girls didn't need me anyway..................I had a great view from the parking lot.

b5fee5cc71387baaccfb1750e9743e5e_zps8312e8aa.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We were in a U-trip A State tourney in MS. One of the favored teams had a pitcher that was illegal all day, everyday. Played them many times over the years. Now we didn't face them until the champ game, but observed her from pool play through the bracket leaping like a frog.

First pitch of that champ game, I ask blue for "time". "You do see she is leaping illegally, right"?

Ump, "well it's small and not giving her an advantage".

Me, "no advantage"? "They've brought her in all weekend when they were on the verge of losing, and now she's pitching the money game"? "The advantage is idiots like you who allow it".

Well, I did make it to the top of the 3rd before I was tossed on another stupid fielding call. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown that dirt at him after-all. Just call the game by the rules, that's all I/we ask. But heck, the girls didn't need me anyway..................I had a great view from the parking lot.

b5fee5cc71387baaccfb1750e9743e5e_zps8312e8aa.jpg
[/IMG]

At a 10u tourney last year and the opposing team pitcher was replanting. When I was at 1B as a coach, I pointed it to the field ump. He agreed it was but it was never called. We lost pretty handily to this "fast" pitcher and it ended our day. Im not sure if we would have stopped their offense, we could have possibly kept it close had they had a slower LEGAL pitcher instead of this hot ILLEGAL pitcher that probably hadn't been called all day. $h!tty way to lose.

Change the rules or enforce them equally. I don't care either way.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

At a 10u tourney last year and the opposing team pitcher was replanting. When I was at 1B as a coach, I pointed it to the field ump. He agreed it was but it was never called. We lost pretty handily to this "fast" pitcher and it ended our day. Im not sure if we would have stopped their offense, we could have possibly kept it close had they had a slower LEGAL pitcher instead of this hot ILLEGAL pitcher that probably hadn't been called all day. $h!tty way to lose.

Change the rules or enforce them equally. I don't care either way.

Coming from many years of working on the "hill" in baseball. Pitching mechanics are well regulated, called young to actually "help" a pitcher develop. Girls Fastpitch is a circus, I'll never understand why.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1