Tenessee drops 6 track athletes - Can't wait to see how this story develops

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
FWIW - The site goldfastpitch.com lists 9 from the class of 2015 verballed to UT. And a look at the UT roster shows 3 Seniors this year. Somehow that math seems a bit off.
Schools routinely recruit more than graduate due to departures, however that is a bit much. We'll have to see how many actually sign next month and end up on the team next year.

A local D1 announced 9 signees last Nov and their roster had 2 SR, 2 JR, 8 Soph and 13 Frosh. I know at least one of the signees ended up at another school. I'm waiting to see what the roster looks like.

What do you think of this roster - 4 SR, 3 JR, 9 Soph, and 7 Frosh?

Jul 1, 2010
"A local D1 announced 9 signees last Nov and their roster had 2 SR, 2 JR, 8 Soph and 13 Frosh. I know at least one of the signees ended up at another school. I'm waiting to see what the roster looks like."

Sounds a bit like one of my DD's wish list schools: 4 Seniors, 2 Juniors, 1 Sophomore and 10 Freshmen. I've asked her to relook that one.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

A couple of questions come to mind:
1) Are the dismissed players still on scholarship at Tennessee for the rest of the year?
2) Can this count as a redshirt season so they still have 4 years of eligibility left?
3) In softball I believe players can transfer without having to sit out a season - is the same true for track?
4) Why would the coach dismiss them now instead of at the end of the season? If they are still on scholarship, they still count against their total for the team.
5) I hope a lot of Tennessee verbal commits reconsider their options. I know my DD would.

Sep 29, 2014
1) The article said 3 girls on scholarship will keep their scholarships this year
2) If it is like other sports you usually have to appeal to the NCAA for disposition, sometimes they play nice sometimes they don't it is the NCAA after all; although if they have not actually competed you would hope they would lean towards the nice side
3) Good question sounds like they could transfer without penalty but if they transferred to another SEC they would have to jump through more hoops
4) This is the dumbest thing of all if they are already on scholarship why not just let them run this year and cut them at the end of the season...I don't buy any discipline or academic excuse they are not even half way into the semester...I can't imagine they are all having problems at exactly the same time
5) Can't imagine anyone with offers from other schools would pick UT after this fiasco

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not see this having any consequences for the program. You will give DD a scholarship to UT, sign her up. None of this will affect my DD. :)

What ever happened to some schools braking away from NCAA, I bet these rules woud stay the same. The school has all the power.

Sep 29, 2014
I would agree as far as other sports but if you DD was a track athlete what would you think, most girls recruited by UT will have other offers, why roll the dice. Although it does sound like most of these girls were recruited by an assistant coach that this new coach let go and brought in a new staff (which is her right) sounds like maybe some sour recruiting grapes...just weird to let it play out like this though since you are wasting the scholarship money anyway just let them run this year and then cut them and the end of the season, still crappy thing to do especially if they perform well but it would be a non story.

Mar 26, 2013
2) If it is like other sports you usually have to appeal to the NCAA for disposition, sometimes they play nice sometimes they don't it is the NCAA after all; although if they have not actually competed you would hope they would lean towards the nice side
They won't use a season of competition at TN because they were cut prior to competing. An NCAA appeal (i.e. hardship waiver) is necessary to restore a season of competition (e.g. medical redshirt for mid-season injury) and/or extend the 5-year rule limit.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet