"Team" bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2010
Has anyone ever tried having team bats? Meaning, buying 2 or 3 various weight Xenos (insert bat of preference) for the entire team to use. We are a team of middle-class families, but for many of the girls softball is their #2 sport. Anything I can do to defer costs for these families I think will extend the time their daughter plays softball. Any thoughts on the success of this type of situation. I think I'd buy one or two, and ask all parents to chip in $30 to buy another.

Team bats are a great idea. Just make sure you get something durable (I would avoid the Xeno for a team bat) because you will have several girls using each bat and if one were to break, they'd all freak out until it gets replaced.

I'd go with a one-piece composite bat like an Easton FS2 or Synergy Speed. They are built like tanks, don't mind being used in the cold and have great pop and feel. Look for last year's model in the FS2 to save some dollars and the lime green Synergy Speed should be at a discount, as well. You might even get lucky and find a new SRV4B (the blue Synergy Speed) at a good price, too!

Jun 24, 2013
As a parent I would not mind throwing in a few bucks for a Team bat but I do not think the idea would work.

I think DD would rather swing her $10 Walmart then your $300 Xeno. I think by the end of 10U everyone had their own bat, I would guess almost all of them in the $50 range. I have no doubt the Team bat would be better quality I just do not know if the players will use them.

Sep 18, 2011
As a middle class parent myself, I resented the "team bat" concept. That was 3 years ago at 12U and was the last time we were on a team that had "team bats." First of all, DD was always going to have her own bat for practice and such. Always. So the fact that we had to kick in extra for "team bats" was a tough pill to swallow. And then what happens to the bats if the team breaks up? Coach gets to keep them, i guess. I don't know. I'm sure it could work, but I'm not a fan.

Jul 2, 2013
Team bats are fine for the younger age groups, 12U or so. To give players a chance to try out, and help figure out what they like.

After that, once a player figures out her likes and dislikes, and is serious about her individual hitting, having their own bat, or two, is where it goes.

And preferably not have another player or players borrow the bat. Softball hitting determines the fate of a players fate more so than any other element of the game. Skimp on other things. Not the bat.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't remember that I had my own bat in high school, some 30 years ago. Not sure anybody had their own bat. I had one that I had outgrown that hit apples and rocks with in the yard, and I would use that if a pickup game broke out, but don't think I ever had a game bat.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I haven't bought a bat in years. My dd has used team bats since she was 12. Tthe last 3 years
She has used current year demarini insane and a synergy speed. she is 16u

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
l live in a very small town and coached 8U last season and will coach 10U this season. Money is limited for most of the families so high end bats are out of the question. My oldest daughter has a CF5 (28/17) and a CF6 (29/18). I allow all the girls on the team use either bat if it fits them. Most girls own a $35 bat. However, I have very strict rules about using her bats. I tell them no hitting rocks, dirt clods, the ground, the fence, or anything that is not some kind of softball. As long as they show they can take care of it they can use it. I encourage most of my better hitters to try them and it does not take long before they love them. If the bad breaks while one of them are using it, oh well. I would rather allow the team to have the best chance of doing well rather than just my daughter.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Wow, team bats. That takes me back. When I first started coaching it was rare for a girl to have her own bat. We had a selection of bats, with the top of the line being the Louisville burgundy bottle bat. I'd keep that bag with me, along with the equipment bag that had the catcher's gear in it (two sets as I recall). And the helmet bag - eight helmets shared by everyone on the team.

In my mind, bats are a pretty personal preference. Nice that you want to help the families out, but you'll probably find they'll be best off with their own bats. Then they can practice with them too.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Team bats are great for rec leagues, but when we made the switch to TB, everyone had their own bat. When you play TB, you should be practicing outside of your regular practices, which is much easier to do if you own a bat - even if it is not a brand new $300 bat! With the internet, "play it again" sports stores and hand-me downs, finding a decent bat should not be a huge issue for most.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole