Team and Parent rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
For the kids…here’s a couple off the top of my head

I suggest:

- Foxhole Rule….For me, keeping the dugout neat and safe is a biggie. Hang up bat bags, all bats get hung up or stored in one corner, balls go in the bucket, know where you put your glove, etc. Having a safe, neat and orderly dugout is a big must have of mine….that’s just me. So you might want to consider setting some rules or standards regarding this matter.

- Inspector Gadget Rule….You should have a rule for cell phone, IPod use….your team-your rule. My position is not to take any electronics away, but it must stay in their bag. Never had too many battles with this. Whatever you personally decide is neither wrong nor right; you just need to decide how much of an issue this is, if you need a rule, etc.….and that’s it.

- Yes to the Dress Rule: I don’t show up in bare feet and expect the players to wait for me to put my shoes on…the coach shouldn’t have to wait for the kids either. There is no reason to be walking onto the field in slippers with cleats in hand. If you show up EARLY…fine, otherwise I have a rule….Come fully dressed.

- Triple D Rule: Meals should be eaten outside of the dugout. I am sympathetic to those families continually on the run, juggling simultaneous “gotta be here and there’s”, grabbing kids and food on the go…etc. If you show up with subway…take your time and eat it out on the bleacher or on the picnic table. We’ve been there so don’t worry about it….eat, get ready and come in. You might want to consider limiting the food in the dugout to healthy type snacks (granola bar, trail mix, etc.) and their choice of drink with restrictions (no soda)

These are all obviously outside of the habitual practice & game rules…hustle, come prepared, good sportsmanship, respect, pay attention, be on time, etcetra, etcetra, etcetra.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You might want to add something to the effect that you (coach) will not discuss playing time or potential conflicts after a game. Both parties need a cooling off period. If a parent does speak to a coach, the player will be there as well.

edited to add:

Last night at DD's DH, a fan tried to talk to one of the girls during the game. It didn't go well. For the expectations, players need to understand that their focus is on the game and not any other distraction.

Mar 31, 2014
Can you give me an example. My husband is coaching my daughters team this year. Its only rec. Ball. We live in a pretty small community and know every one and dididnt think that all the rules needed to be on paper. Boy were we wrong. These moms are crazy and making us miserable.

The rule my DD's travel coach has is he will only text the parents for any reason but that goes out the window in school ball where the coaches seem to want to distance themselves from the parents and only text the girls. I kind of understand that for trying to teach responsibility to the girls but on the flip side it does make problems as I described possible.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I have a handout of team goals and expectations that I provide to each family at tryouts. If you PM me I can send to your email.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
In no particular order, here are a few to start.

1) No parents in or around the dugout....EVER! Exception: Unless it's a case of an injury.
2) If parents have something they want to discuss with the coaches after a game, they must wait 24 hrs and set a time to talk to them the following day.
3) No players are aloud to leave the dugout without the coach's permission during a game.
4) No parent coaching from the stands or outside the fence.....EVER! The parents have entrusted the coaches to teach/ coach their children so let the coaches do exactly that.
5) No Parents or player will argue/show disrespect to the umpires/ other team/ other parents/ teammates/ etc. The word sportsmanship and all it entails will be utilized at all times by everyone.
6) As a coach, you will not discuss another player except with their own parents. If a discussion is needed, the player will be present so that they know and understand what is said.
7) No parent will discuss or criticize another player with the coaches or other parents.
8) No tantrums, swearing or throwing equipment in the dugout will be tolerated.
9) Players will show up x minutes early for practices and x minutes early for games to warm up.

If it's a TB team/ all-stars/ club/ etc. ....A minimum of 2 players, preferably 3 from the team will go to the bathroom/ concession stand/ watch other games/ etc. when leaving the team area during a tournament.

These are pretty much the 'biggies' I try to cover.

Edit to Add: You may want to write a Coach's Code of Conduct also.

Regarding Bold Above...

On Time Rule

There’s always a lot of talk about being on time, getting there early to warm-up, etc.. Here is my two cents….

Coaches….Do NOT tell parents “Practice is from 5:00 – 7:00…but I’d like you to get there about 15 minutes early to warm-up” or “Our game is at 2:00….try to get there about a ½-hout or 45 minutes before the game”.

For practices: If you want the kids at practice 15 minutes before 5:00 to warm-up….Then practice starts at 4:45, and is now a 4:45 – 7:00 practice. This is what parents need to hear. IMO, warm-up is part of the practice and the coaches need to allow time for that; if it means adding 15 minutes to the practice, then add 15 minutes.

For games…make a decision…1/2-hour, 45 minutes, or whatever before the game. Parent need an exact time. And tell them, the game is at 2:00…I need everyone at the field at 1:15 ready to warm-up.

Also, Coaches….many of you get in a bind or hyperventilate when kids show up late. If you are going to be strict with being on time, then as a coach you need to be strict with yourself about ending on time. This includes the time for the team meeting at the end of practice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This was our "Team Guidelines" handout at the start of our Spring season (10u rec)...

We are very excited to get started with another season of great softball. We look forward to helping these young ladies develop their individual talents, build teamwork skills, and have a good time on the field. We believe that playing our best will bring us success.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or want recommendations, please contact us. We love the game, and are here to help.

Players:
• Give your best effort every time.
• Be respectful of your teammates, coaches, players on the other team, umpires…and your parents.
• Dugout Rules:
 Positive cheers only!
 Know where your gear is at all times, and be ready when it’s time to be on the field.
 No eating. Water or sports drinks are fine, but please save any snacks for before or after the game.
 Clean up after yourself.
• Most important of all…HAVE FUN!!

Parents:
• Please be on time to games and practices. If you are going to be late, or have to miss a game or practice, please let one of the coaches know as soon as possible (preferably, at least 24 hours before).
• If your daughter is working with a private instructor (hitting, pitching, etc.), please let us know. Some of what we teach may use different concepts or cues than their instructor, and can create some confusion. We don’t want to get in the way of their progress – especially if you’re paying for it. If you have any questions about the methods or techniques we are teaching, please ask.
• If your daughter is having an issue with another player, or not having fun, please let one of the coaches know as soon as possible so the issue can be resolved quickly. This game should be enjoyable for everyone.
• If you aren’t able to stay for a game or practice, please verify before you leave that one of the other parents will be responsible for your daughter during that time.
• We welcome anyone willing to help during practices, pre-game warm-ups, and field preparation. (Note – Anyone on the field with the players must be cleared through SMGSA with a background check.)

Equipment:
SMGSA will provide a team jersey, pants, and visor for each player. We will be ordering “crazy socks” for the team ($10/pair). This uniform is to be worn for every game.

We also ask that all players be dressed appropriately, and with all of the proper gear, for every practice.

Required Equipment:
• Helmet with cage (NOCSAE approved) and chinstrap.
• Glove – We recommend a 12”-12.5” glove designed for fastpitch softball.
• Cleats – Softball/baseball cleats are recommended. Soccer cleats are acceptable. Metal cleats are not allowed.
Recommended Equipment:
• Bat – Approved for fastpitch softball (ASA Certified 2004). Bat length and weight should be appropriate for your daughter’s height and strength.
• Sliding Shorts and Sliding Kneepad – There are times during games where sliding into a base will be required. These pads help minimize scrapes and bruises.
• Fielder’s Mask (for infielders)
Optional Equipment:
• Gear bag/backpack
• Practice pants and socks – Alternate clothing for practices helps keep uniforms in good condition for our games. T-shirts are okay for practices.
• Batting gloves - This is a personal preference item. Some players like them, some don’t.

Jun 1, 2013
Maybe it is just my area but I have to include a dress code rule for practice and games. No shirts split all the way up the side, no showing bras or bra straps, no middrift shirts, no lo cut shirts, no thin white shirts because we will be expected to play in rain, so we will practice in rain, no shorts, no disrespectful shirt mottos or pictures..... is it just my area??

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Maybe it is just my area but I have to include a dress code rule for practice and games. No shirts split all the way up the side, no showing bras or bra straps, no middrift shirts, no lo cut shirts, no thin white shirts because we will be expected to play in rain, so we will practice in rain, no shorts, no disrespectful shirt mottos or pictures..... is it just my area??

Maybe it's just the age group? I know on DD's HS team there are several girls that consistently wear the types of shirts you mentioned with the exception of disrespectful motto's.