Teaching hitters to slap-where would you start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Some really good stuff here, thanks a lot guys. I have a few girls that want me to help them learn how to slap, so I am trying to learn myself. It may be too old for my older DD, but my baby (just turned 4) is already hitting left handed (even though she throws right), and (assuming she continues to want to play ball as she gets older) I'm planning on her learning to bunt/slap very early.

All of the info was good, but I like Druer's last point the best, I see girls all the time waste 2 strikes from the left side and then move over to the right side to finish the strike out.....

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
I've been giving slap hitting lessons for several years now...about 250 lessons per year. I believe slap hitting is often the best way to transform a speedy but marginal player who is fighting for playing time into a very good player who is batting at the top of the order.

Obviously, the "how to" technique coaching is important but maybe more important is the "how many". In my experience, a new converted slapper & supportive parents/coaches should plan on about 10,000 practice slaps and about 100 game slaps before you can really expect to see the player's slapper skill....a natural lefty new to slapping takes about half that. For a converted slapper that's a big committment... about 40 hours of practice and about 30-40 games. I post this because I see a lot of situations where the player, parents & team coach dabble with slapping....go to a clinic or take a lesson or watch a dvd, 30 minute practice and then are disappointed when they get poor results in a game. Don't try slapping because you think it's easy...it isn't. Be a slapper because it is very effective for speedy players and worth the effort.

Then again maybe I'm just not a very good instructor.

Mar 14, 2009
We started my DD slapping at 10 by showing her how to slap bunt first (she was a small 10U playing at 12U, and we did it in the middle of a game as well). She was able to get the footwork down quickly and instead of swinging, she just bunted. Here in NE, the other teams had no idea what to do, with the moving start they just could not react fast enough to throw her out. Progressed over the years to true slapping. She is still small and fast and one of the leading hitters in the state. In HS she has only slapped twice this year, she is hitting over .650, coach can't see how slapping will help her get on more often, but it is a weapon she still practices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes