TB Coaching Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2012
Question for TB coaches and parents:

On your team, does the coach or coaches get any sort of financial assistance? If so, what is it?

Daughter gets reduced fees
Daughter plays free
Coach gets per diem for tournaments
Coach gets some sort of actual cash payment
Anything not listed

What about Assistant Coaches?

Just trying to get a feel for what is common. Thanks for you input.

May 31, 2012
Old team coaches got money every tournament. Current team coach has DD on team pay as you go tournament fees split evenly amongst players.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
DD plays on an older team in the organization, I am the head coach one of the 12U teams without a DD on it. It is completely volunteer, no help with reduced fees for DD, no per diem, no tournament fee, no gas or toll money, food is on me. I bought team bats with team funds, but will not keep them at the end of the year (too small for DD). I plan to raffle those off to the kids at the end of the season.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What I have seen here is Sth FL:

For teams where DD or other family member is on the team - no financial assistance

For volunteer non-DD coached teams - minimally cover hotel/travel costs

For paid coaches - cover everything plus paying for them to run the team

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Larger Orgs the head coach gets paid, if they have a child, those fees are usually waved. Asst coaches get some sort of % discount on fees.

Mom @ Pop teams the coaches get no discounts. Matter of fact most HC wind up paying much more out of pocket for the "little" things that are needed. Covering a player's tournament fees if the parents are $$ short, last minute stops for replacing/repairing equipment for prac/games, some kid runs out of food/drink money at tourneys, extra gas picking up kids for prac/games, covering cost of pick up player ( if needed ), etc.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Our Org does not allow parent coaches past 12U. The coaches receive travel money and are minimally paid. Perhaps 10 per hour. Both were collegiate players who know their stuff, take no gruff and do a great job with the girls. The coaches do offer private lessons in the off season and seem to pick up some of our players plus some of their friends.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
This varies by organization/age group. Paid coaches are more common in the older age groups.
Bear in mind, just because a coach is being paid, it does not necessarily make him/her
a good coach. It is common for ex players to coach, some are very good others are not.
Just because she knows how to play does not translate into knowing how to coach.
I know many coaches who are not paid that are very good coaches.

If you are joining a new organization and are curious, check not only with current player families
but also former player families whose daughters have 'aged out'. A disgruntled former player
likely will diss the coach/org. be careful

Dec 22, 2012
The situation is, I've been mostly a rec coach. Started an 8U travel team last Fall and did very well. It would be more of a "mom and pop" team according to GoingDeep. In the process, however, I was approached by the premier select baseball organization (over 100 players in MLB or D1 schools, including 4 1st round draft picks last June) in our region to help them begin a softball side of their organization. We are joining together and I'm starting the 10U team (mostly from my 8U players last season).

So the head guy is encouraging me to get some significant help either in payment or letting my daughter play for free. His opinion is that you are giving a huge amount of your time, energy, and passion. You should be compensated from the beginning. It will set us up as being a top notch organization that is serious about improving players and getting them to the next level.

There is probably validity in what he's saying. He obviously knows the baseball world very well, but I've never been paid to coach at all and am not sure that I want to go there. Don't know why, just not really sure about it.

CoachGene72

Can Talk Softball all day
Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
HC does not have any girls on team. Team pays for all of his hotel stays at tournaments. Around $900.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207