Takeover Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, you do address this because the HC is allowing a dad to instruct. What if all of he dads want to instruct. I know that if my dd were playing and a dad, not a coach, were to give her instruction, he and I would have words before he finished his sentence. I say this because been there and done that. I don't know about others but this could be potentially a very bad scene.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I moved DD to a non-dad coached team. If a dad started doing this I'd have a quick word with the coach followed up with one to the org pres if things didn't change.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wanted to know everyone that was authorized to be around my DD. Has this guy passed a background check? Do you know his name?

Sep 18, 2011
As stated by someone else maybe the coach likes what he is doing and who knows what conversations have occurred between he and the coach about helping. I've gone from parent to helper to a helper coach in the matter of a short time before because it was needed. I didn't want to but that's how it worked out.

That's all well and good and perhaps you're correct, but if the coach has taken him on as an assistant he/she needs to inform the team and the parents. So any way you slice it you still have a weak coach.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
In my opinion it sounds like the coach may have tried to address the dugout issue by removing the parent from the dugout. Having him do book may be an attempt to keep him busy. If his mouth continued from the stands, the coach may already be doing more thinking. I can't imagine the coach is thrilled with a takeover dad either, but he's there to coach, not police adults. I understand a parents frustration but the coach hasn't failed, in my opinion, after 1 tournament. To me it reads that he addressed an issue, put an end to the "pep talks", now has additional work to do.

In terms of your DD she should talk to HC for clarification on who/what should be listened to.

This opinion comes from a coach who didn't care to deal with the parents, but enjoy the experience of coaching my DD and developing a love for the game for my players. I didn't shut up a parent though I still wonder if I should have.

Jun 12, 2012
I wanted to know everyone that was authorized to be around my DD. Has this guy passed a background check? Do you know his name?

Agreed! We don't do "drop and dash" at practices or tournaments like some parents do. DH or I are there for eveything, but I do want to know the background of the people who are around my daughter. I do know the names of all the parents on the team. Some of the other parents know the family frim school. We live almost 2 hours away so are lucky to stay out of the rec ball/ school ball drama.

Jun 12, 2012
That's all well and good and perhaps you're correct, but if the coach has taken him on as an assistant he/she needs to inform the team and the parents. So any way you slice it you still have a weak coach.

HC was AC last season to a HC that was much more outspoken. I think it is just his nature to be more quiet and reserved. I know several of the parents have told their daughters to only take instruction from the official coaches. I think the guy is fairly knowledgeable, but do not care for his approach and get the feeling he is only concerned with making his DD look like a standout.

Nov 29, 2009
I think the guy is fairly knowledgeable, but do not care for his approach and get the feeling he is only concerned with making his DD look like a standout.

If your gut/instincts/feelings are sounding an alarm I would not ignore them. You may know/see more than you realize. 5 travel teams in 2 years is one the biggest markers of a troublemaker parent. I've witnessed a couple in action. They're not fun. After a while the parent's reputation will precede them and their daughter can't find a team to play on. That's about the time they start some kind of "Better" team that every girl will want to join. I've seen those ads before and laugh when I read all the BS in them.

Does the team have written conduct rules for the players and most importantly, the parents? If not the coach needs to put some in place. I've always had them for my teams and they work so long as the coach enforces them consistently. It's one thing to use a parent if a coach is absent from a practice or game. It's another to let them on to the coaching staff immediately.

It's time to get a clear explanation from the HC as to what this dad's role is on the team.

May 13, 2012
Girl in our area has been on bunch of teams. Dad interfers and they get run off. She is not bad pitcher but not D1 bound in my non expert opinion. Dad only wants to make her look good. Last team they got run off due to Dad calling pitchs from bleachers and her ignoring the catcher\coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild