Takeover Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
So...new player joined team 2 weeks ago (12u). Dad has very quickly tried to insert himself in to the coaching staff. First he was helping with softtoss during warmups, then it was "helping" the catchers on how they should set-up while his DD was pitching, today he worked his way into the dugout to keep score. 2 innings into the first game he was on the field yelling into the dugout to the girls about not running when there are 2 outs. In conversation with the Mom we've learned they've been on 5 travel teams in 2 years. Dad has coached on several of these teams, but DD "just doesn't get treated fairly." Dad is in coach's ear every free minute between games offering his advice.

We brought DD to this org because they teach mechanics and fundamentals consistently from 10-18u. I don't want to tell HC how to run the team, but also do not want this Dad telling my DD how to field, where to set up in the box, or how to catch for his daughter. Any advice? I'm thinking about approaching it from the "DD's not sure who to listen to with so many different people giving instruction" aspect.

Jan 25, 2011
Boy, this guy sounds like he wants to be the coach, maybe he doesn't think they are doing it right. I think that the coaches will take care of it or maybe your dd can ask the coach about who she is to listen too.You know for some reason this guys MO, makes me feel like I know him, or he comes on this site all the time;), I wonder:confused: father of a pitcher, you say, does she catch too??:confused: It will come to me sooner or later:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
It's funny you say that...she does catch, too...in fact, she's probably good enough to pitch and catch at the same time.
now that is fast:D does that mean she still has to give the signs to herself:confused: I would hate to see what happens when she doesnt like the signs:mad:

Jan 25, 2011
I would think that the other parents will notice this guy and will be also bring it up to the coaches.

Sep 18, 2011
The dad is an obvious control freak, but what does this say about the coach that he/she would allow this?? Can't stand these weak coaches. Would NEVER be tolerated in our organization. NEVER. And if another PARENT (PARENT!!) tried to coach my daughter like this, I would say something immediately. So thankful that we are in an organization that does not allow parent coaches. On the FIELD... YELLING into the dugout??? Would have been dismissed from our team on the spot!!!!

May 19, 2010
As stated by someone else maybe the coach likes what he is doing and who knows what conversations have occurred between he and the coach about helping. I've gone from parent to helper to a helper coach in the matter of a short time before because it was needed. I didn't want to but that's how it worked out.

Jun 12, 2012
Just home from today's games. "New Dad" still had the book, but was out of the dugout. He did yell instructions to players on the field several times today and HC did not address it as far as I know. The girls are not sure if they are supposed to listen to him or not. HC is a good guy, but not confrontational. AC, who is more outspoken, was not there this weekend, so I think ND saw his chance to try and slide in. We only have 1 more tourney for fall so we'll see how it goes, but I will not be surprised if we lose a player or 2 if he stays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad