Swing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This very simple move, getting "sat" is explained by this guy in a way that i will probably use in my teaching.

Instead "coiling forward" or stride, or getting "sat" he calls it "knee pinch".

It is something that i have incorporated into my own swing with great success.

It is not drive knee down and in, or kick the knee, as is taught widely in college circles.

heisey-knee-pinch.png

from “MOMENT OF TRUTH #2â€￾ – THE FIRST DOMINO TO FALL IN THE SWING SEQUENCE « Cincinnati Reds Camps

Aug 17, 2015
Pre-pitch: Ready, Relax..... Post-Pitch: Load, Hips-Hands, Finish - Shawn, I like the whip...that is the key to power!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like to use a whip analogy as well ... although I'm not in alignment with the diagram above. You'll never hear me barking out "palm up to extension" ... I want whip.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the topic.

Some schools of thought have it that power comes from turning the body hard … to the point that it drags the arms and barrel through impact. That is one of the weakest ways to hit a ball.

To the contrary, it is much more powerful to have the body brace and create a slinging action into impact.

As humans, the fastest moves we can make use the speed of our hands and arms. Our bodies are powerful, but they don’t accelerate especially quick. A pro will get their lower body initially moving around 4-6mph. That's not exactly fast ... but it serves the purpose just fine. Our ability to drive the ball comes from the barrel speed we create going into impact. If you are relying on your body to turn quickly, so as to move the barrel quickly, then you’ll never realize the barrel speed you are capable of. The body needs to brace so that the energy we are creating moves to the barrel.

Aug 20, 2015
On deck plan, focus at release point, relaxed balance waggle, back foot solid, begin upper rotation, proper bat path, compact, knuckles up knuckles down,
Ball tracked to sweet spot, slow then explode, extension.... in a word.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors