Swing down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A down through on deck swing
liliondeckdownthrough-M.gif

swing in box
liligoodhitnotipgif-M.gif

she was arguing about a comment about barrel tip. She said she was. i showed her this.

release is a good term to use in the swing. i think extension is a release of sorts.
Don't bypass the short-to portion of the swing.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Our short to, is not in good shape at this point. lots of bat drag to fix, and laying the barrel back. we struggled against the high 50's, which is fast for us. any tips on short to?

We are so young, this big girl is 13. i need to remove some movement i believe. but i need another set of eyes. how can i shorten, short to?

lexi%20foullate-M.gif

do not mean to high jack.

hannagoodhitgiff-M.gif

i have this same team next year, not losing anyone, so i still have time to fix things.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Mann, it appears her tempo and timing may be to slow for the speed of the pitching.. Also I would look to get her more stacked so that the left side (facing the pitcher) is more involved with the swing.. One can sit behind an L-screen from approx 15-20 ft and throw bp with some pace.. This should help with her tempo and timing.

Stacked

SizzlingWeeklyBluewhale-poster.jpg

May 4, 2012
Mann, it appears her tempo and timing may be to slow for the speed of the pitching.. Also I would look to get her more stacked so that the left side (facing the pitcher) is more involved with the swing.. One can sit behind an L-screen from approx 15-20 ft and throw bp with some pace.. This should help with her tempo and timing.

Stacked

SizzlingWeeklyBluewhale-poster.jpg

imho - need to get coil right, currently isn't. Can see weight get outside back foot and then what coil she does create she comes out of it early. TJ's gif above of the female hitter is a pretty good one to study the back leg/hip relationship as is the Cooper (Auburn) swing, I posted in the Auburn thread.

She is getting close, doing a good job

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
It was mentioned a few post back about having the bat follow through impact to avoid chicken winging or loss of power. I confess I'm guilty of this with my players. What drills can I do to help them stop chicken winging and have a better follow through? Great subject and lots of great advice.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It was mentioned a few post back about having the bat follow through impact to avoid chicken winging or loss of power. I confess I'm guilty of this with my players. What drills can I do to help them stop chicken winging and have a better follow through? Great subject and lots of great advice.

Need to learn to 'unglue' the rear elbow from/to the rear hip and then following the bodies rotation around.
With my DD I started here:
Learning to hit the ball opposite:
BustosOutFrom1.gif

5vwy36.gif

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Great stuff thanks rdbass. I was thinking of the Bustos drill. As a young girl she was taught knob to the ball and that didn't work for her, It caused a lot of problems. So, we got away from that and then she was barring out her arm so we focused on keeping a 90 with the front arm but now her lead arm stays in a 90 degree bend almost all the way through the swing. With all the great stuff Five has given me, I we will add the Bustos drill and see how that changes her swing . Mike

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Great stuff thanks rdbass. I was thinking of the Bustos drill. As a young girl she was taught knob to the ball and that didn't work for her, It caused a lot of problems. So, we got away from that and then she was barring out her arm so we focused on keeping a 90 with the front arm but now her lead arm stays in a 90 degree bend almost all the way through the swing. With all the great stuff Five has given me, I we will add the Bustos drill and see how that changes her swing . Mike

Not sure what your DD's swing looks like but this is 'chicken wing':
RogaD2.gif

Take note of the rear elbow being 'glued'/'staled' to the rear hip and following the rotation of the body.
Coach you may want to take a look at your DD's rear elbow and making sure that it's 'getting through'/'clears' the body. I'm pointing this out because you spoke of
I do to help them stop chicken winging and have a better follow through?

Last edited: