How much is too much: Rain and game management

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I guess I was a little unclear on that . . . if an umpire wants to look at a weather app once they have cleared the field and are no longer inside the fences, go for it. I know I am old fashioned, but I have SEVERE issues with an umpire having a phone in hand on the field under any circumstance (even as a timer). The future weather does not impact the current playing conditions. We should NEVER let an unsafe game go on just to "try to get it in." We should not be looking at a BAD situation and saying, "It's going to get WORSE, so let's keep going."

It is the site administrator's responsibility to determine how/if/when we can resume once I have cleared the field. I am responsible for what is on the field. At the point I have pulled us off for rain, we are no longer on the field. The site administrator is responsible for judging the possibility of restarting -- that includes the forecast and whether or not they can repair the field in a reasonable amount of time. Those are not the umpires' calls once we walk off the field.
I presume you would override an administrator's decision to restart if you didn't agree the conditions were as safe as what they thought.

May 29, 2015
I presume you would override an administrator's decision to restart if you didn't agree the conditions were as safe as what they thought.

I guess that depends on your definition of override. The administrator can tell me the field is ready. Once I step onto the field, I can say "no, it is not."

The personal experience example I gave earlier was a situation like this. It was a turf field, so we couldn't just look at it and see (dirt would be easy for us to say, "not playable"). The admin would send us back out, the pitcher would throw a warm up pitch, we would watch her slide, and we walked back off. Rinse, repeat.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I guess that depends on your definition of override. The administrator can tell me the field is ready. Once I step onto the field, I can say "no, it is not."

The personal experience example I gave earlier was a situation like this. It was a turf field, so we couldn't just look at it and see (dirt would be easy for us to say, "not playable"). The admin would send us back out, the pitcher would throw a warm up pitch, we would watch her slide, and we walked back off. Rinse, repeat.
Ok, I can see that as sensible; trying the conditions with a few warm-ups to make a determination.

May 13, 2023
Step Up and carry the weight of the responsibility of making a decision!
Screenshot_20240229-070305_Chrome.jpg

Many a Time there is only an Umpire there to make a decision and they do.
They've done it before they can do it again.

Beyond that as a coach or a player I would not let somebody else's poor judgment take responsibility over my safety! Unsafe is unsafe. Don't play if it's unsafe!

Beyond that I'm not letting somebody who's making money off the situation make a money decision instead of a safe one.

Make a safe decision.
Be able to walk away from the field and play another day!
( not be carried off and end the season)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles