Suspended from next entire tournament for discipline. Too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
It sounds like the coach handled the situation perfectly. The girl was not disciplined in front of the rest of the team. He took the parents aside along with the player and immediately dealt with a discipline problem in a very direct and quick manner without hesitation. It sure sounds like the coach has control of his team.

As for the rest of the team finding out... Most of the young kids today have their own cell phone. I would lay odds the girl was on her phone texting, tweeting or posting about the situation before she was even home.

May 17, 2011
yeah, being there, and knowing what happened first hand, I'd say "off the team" would definitely be a little harsh. There are lots of opinions from one range to the other. They still seem young to me. Not to let them off the hook easy, but at least a warning or one game sitting out. And if it continues, then increase the discipline. Some of the competitive girls get so engrossed in winning the game they loose all reason and discernment when it comes to feelings. I think even some coaches fall into that same trap. But ultimately they are, at 12U still becoming what they need to be as they approach high school and even college. Learning team ship is integral with that learning experience. Being hung out on the line with embarrassment is not, in my opinion conducive to building a good team spirit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What she did was pretty outrageous. I've only been around the game for 36 years now, and I've coached lots and lots of girls, and I've never heard of a girl or boy doing this at any level.
And if it continues, then increase the discipline.

Being hung out on the line with embarrassment is not, in my opinion conducive to building a good team spirit.

???

If you don't come down on her, she'll take over the team. She'll fracture your team into two groups, and then you might as well pack it in.

We have all this stuff about how bullying is bad, and when someone does it right in front of you, you want to pat the bully on the head and say, "Oh, it is OK."???

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, more discipline like that described in the OP being doled out at younger ages by parents, coaches, teachers etc. would go quite a ways to eliminating the behaviour issues/attitudes that are fostered or at least allowed to continue into middle school and high school.

We had a situation like this last year (1st year 14) after the first game of a tournament, except the girl wasn't "suspended" which to me sounds like not coming to the games ~ she was benched for the rest of the tournament and was expected to help out/cheer on her teammates, play catch, help with catcher's gear, etc., and was told that if she didn't show up for the second day of the tournament, then she could turn in her uniform. She showed up and her attitude was a lot better the rest of the year.

Apr 13, 2013
MS HC suspended a few players, 1 for something similar to what you are describing. I would not call it public humiliation, he was making a point the entire team needed to be aware of. If the player thought it was too harsh a punishment they didn’t need to rejoin the Team but they did. They were a little bit better of a Teammate afterwards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26